Zombie RPG MMO sandbox

So as most of you know, zombie games are what a lot of people are looking for. And there are few the actually have a realistic feel to it. What I want to create is an open world where players can meet up and fight or team. There will be NPCs that are friendly, bandits, or neutral. Walls can be built to barricade streets. But I need help. I could do it alone but it would take me forever. But if I got a big enough team… We could be done in a few months or a 1 year (around there). And ALL of the proceeds go to blender (and steam if it is greenlit)

But the difference between me and million dollar game developers is I am not a million dollar game developer. So you can think that all you want but I am not going to give up on this one. Even if it takes me 20 years. I may take brakes but I will keep things flowing.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Dedication is important, but it’s not the only devil you’ll be fighting. I started a simpler project (Multiplayer First Person) and my call for support (Artists, Modellers…) was a little premature. In fact, it was about three years too early. Because it take a long time to learn the skills necessary to develop a game with the complexity of multi player, first person shooter. For an MMO-RPG, you’re going to be looking at considerably longer. The rest is somewhat irrelevant. You can create placeholder art during development, and everything can be placeholder. But not code. Code needs to work to be useful, it binds everything else together.

This is all I have to offer on the subject at the moment, it’s a warning / heads up. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to pursue.

This will be a tough project. I hope you understand the process of game making and this isn’t your first crack at one. Firstly, for what it seems you are looking to make… BGE probably isn’t your best engine to work in. I suggest using Unity for such a diverse project. You will need to understanding multi-player networking (took me about a year to fully understand it (with life getting in the way)) You will need to understand programming. If you are leading this project-- you should know all of this. Even if its not your main job in the team.

Most people here are saying you cant do it, but you can. You just need to stick to it, and not aim too high. Perhaps start with a dirt room with small interactive objects, and simple AI.

Programs my team has used and succeeded with:

Blender (for modelling, and UVing)
Unity (the game engine)
Crazy Bump (normal, bump, spec map generator)
PhotoShop (texturing, Use Gimp as an free alternative)
Adobe Sound Booth (sound editing)

and any IDE for scripting (btw you should probably script in C# if you want a multi-player game. Personally I find it easier)

Good luck, let me know if you need any more information

A few remarks on my part;

If you want anything complex in multiplayer, Unity probably isn’t the best option. You really don’t want to use their default networking, and the integration of Photon is tricky (because you can’t access engine systems like physics very easily). As well as this, the language isn’t really that much of a concern (though I wouldn’t recommend attempting to write a networking library in Haskell). Python is flexible which makes it very useful, whilst C++ is very fast, which also makes it useful. C# Falls somewhere in between the two.