the Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Fantasy

Yay, another Zelda fan remake!

-Gameplay:
The Idea is to remake the 1st Zelda game in 3D, not just visually but gameplay-wise.
So, my goal is to somewhat recreate the controles of Ocarina of Time.

-Graphics:
Graphics will be close to N64 standards in terms of detail, just with fancyer lighting and texturing, as I tend to use OoT and MM models as referance.
But I think in terms of aesthetics I’ll drift far away form OoT.

-Story:
Story-wise I’ll just work with the bare minimum that the 1st Zelda game offers. So, your’e the young, nameless Hero called Link, rescuing Impa from some Octoroks, she finds the Triforce of Courage at the back of your hand, she tells you that Zelda is in trouble and so on…
In detail i will try to give the characters a bit more… character. So, instead of an uncountable amount of old men, women and some marchants. I’ll try to make individual characters with some kind of personality.

I’ve never worked on a fan project before and i don’t know how possible it is that nintendo will shut this down, which i would be totally okay with. I start this project because I’m kinda bored, but also because of my love for the Zelda franchise.
I would love to discuss every single step of development, with people that are as much into Zelda as me, or even more, to make this game a worthy tribute.
But also with the ones that are into 3D-art, game-development and blender in general. So, with all of you. :wink:
Thank’s for reading.

Model of Link so far, still working on textures.

Edit: (Sorry for the missing picture.)

You won’t be shut down if you aren’t attempting to sell it or make money off of it in any way. I like the model so far, keep it up!

I never understood why people are so fascinated by that silly save the princess story. Why not make a game where you play as the prince from sleeping beauty or snow white. Those are classier than the pokemon stuff in my opinion. Model looks good though.

to be correct, pokemon is a different franchise from the legend of zelda.

It works, I suppose. It’s also the core story from all of the Zelda games, so if he’s remaking the first one, then you can’t really change it too drastically (unless that’s your direction).

This is not true, I believe. I think companies can issue cease and desist letters regardless of if you make money off of your product or not. It’s happened to fan-games in the past.

It’s not really about the end goal. Remember the old saying “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey”. And every game in the Zelda franchise has it’s own unique charm to it while still holding true to the brands self imposed guidelines. Personally, I’ve never seen what’s so great about FPSs or RTS or the type of RPGs where you get bogged down in a complex menu system or turn-based fighting. But, you know, it’s okay to like whatever. To each his own (to use another tired old saying - but it’s true).

I feel like you contradicted yourself with that statement. All all of those themes are overplayed. I think projects like these should allude to the series and be as original as possible. So you aren’t stepping on Nintendo’s toes and you are more free to do what you want with the concept.

Agreed 100%. Although there are a few RTS that look good. The Anno games for example. But yes menus are such a turn off. I want controls not a ATM machine.

sounds cool, hope it goes places, but zelda 1 is huge will take ages and most people get bored a couple months in , in these type of remakes. I personal would like to see a zelda 2 remastered version or even better one of the cdi games, take on the challenge of making something horrible something good, plus im sure Nintendo wouldn’t chase u for cdi games as they basically ignore there existence.
Anyway good luck :slight_smile:

I gave myself about 2 months to complete this. :spin:
I mean, yeah, it is huge. but because of that i’ll not remake the overworld screen by screen, tile by tile. I reather thought about building up the landscape in seprate places, like in OoT. So, the Overworld in my remake will still resamble Hyrule from tLoZ, but will not be accurate, and brobably much smaller. :o

I think it’s very doable to recreate the original Zelda’s world, dungeons and all, in two months. Surprisingly, there aren’t that many tiles, it could probably take someone one month to re-make all the tiles in 3D, and another month to put it all together square-by-square.

Making a game of this complexity in two months?
That’s pretty short. You need to give yourself more time.

Good luck.

So, I switched from GLSL to Multitexture because I think the overall shading has kind of an N64 vibe.
I’m not used to work in Multitexture mode, so can I actually use Multiple-Textures in it? I’ve tried to arrange texture layers like I would in GLSL, but it didn’t work.
I want to have a basic ground texture and a tiled detailed one as overlay. Is that possible?

I dont think u can do this texture layering thing in multi texture , what exactly do u like about the n64 vibe? mabie u could recreate something similar using glsl.Some of oot looks like u would get away with flat shading and some fog and some vertex colors.

Do you have any screenshots to show so far?