Gaivota Rocking Chair BI

Hey guys! :slight_smile:
Always liked these chairs, figured it would look cool in a corner setting of sorts. :slight_smile:
Here’s basically my starting point, nothing is really set in stone at the moment. Not even sure of the render engine, but it’s BI in this particular shot. No AO or environment, just an area light and a hemi.

Real Gaivota chairs:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=69226
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=69227

Really nice, cool to see some bi render that looks realistic. Maybe i would give there end of the carpet and glass vase. Cool :smiley:

Those do look like comfortable chairs, well done on the modeling of it. Something a lot of people over look is moulding and trim around windows ect… You have done a nice job on these elements.

The owner must have a low poly taste in art :slight_smile:

@cergina: Thanks very much! A rug is still a possibility for sure, as well as a small vase. :slight_smile:

@harleynut97: Thank you! They do look comfortable, the guy who came up with this chair apparently got the idea from his ass-print in the snow while he was in the French Alps :smiley: It’s supposed to be comfortable no matter your body size as well, I just don’t have an extra $2000 to try one out. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks again!

Small update, modeled and textured the walls. I might see this one all the way through with BI, I think :):

this last one with gray background is amazing, congratulation.

Would definitely suggest the black background. Looks cool dude, creative idea with the pictures being Low poly art.

@kimozz89: Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

@normanizsharpe: Thank you! :slight_smile: I think I will be going with a darker wall, green looks kind of cool too :slight_smile:

Nice scene!

Your wood materials need bump and spec maps, and your AA settings seem to be set too low.

KIU!

Vicky, this is a really great work that shows how powerful the BI engine can be in the right hands. Really great. Also, I like rocking chairs and love reading, so all the better. :slight_smile:

@Oscar J: Thanks! Still working on mats, and I haven’t turned up the AA for speed purposes. :slight_smile:

@Frobenius.Edge: Much appreciated, thank you! :slight_smile:

I kind of like the green a bit more than the blue, both look good however. I wonder how that shelf would look in the same wood as the rocker? Might give it a different feel.

This last render in post #8 is looking very good. I love the displacement of the wooden panels in the background.

Two things I’d suggest to try out would be a warmer light tone and a tiny, but noticeable displacement for the panels on the floor.

@harleynut97: Thanks again! I actually had that in mind, but I wanted to try a darker chair first, as seen below. I like the darker wood with the blue and green colors :slight_smile: Might blast a sun through the window next :stuck_out_tongue:

@minoribus: Thank you! :slight_smile: I might change the floor, I’m not sure which one I’m going with though. Here’s the new one, but right now it only has bump and spec(not turning on any gloss until the end). I changed the original material to an off-white, and turned the Color of the texture down to .3 to let it barely bleed through, kind of whitewashed. Looking at it now, I might need to let the texture bleed through a bit more :slight_smile:

EDIT: Added sun:

OK… now what made ya mess around with the nice floor you had before :slight_smile: I like the new darker wood you choose for the rocker/shelf

I liked the bamboo more, personally. Walnut with a mahogany stain seems like the wrong type of wood for this chair to me, personally. I think maybe a walnut with no stain would look better, or the bamboo again.

@harleynut97: Haha! Not sure! :stuck_out_tongue: I was checking out some floors and kind of liked the spaced-apart, whitewashed look, but I still have the other floor on another layer :slight_smile:

@ThorntonStrolia: I believe at some point they were made with Beech and Walnut-stained, but there’s different ones out there, dark and light. :slight_smile:

Textured the frames:

… interesting 0_0

IDK what the first one you did was (looked like bamboo to me) but I liked it. Walnut is one of my favorite woods but it seems like it provides just a little too much contrast to the scene in MO.

@Thornton Strolia: I agree about the contrast, but I haven’t put any gloss on anything as of yet, that should lighten the scene quite a bit, as well as add a lot more depth, I hope at least! :slight_smile:

I guess I should post some “making-of” shots:

Latest render, just made a couple more books, and made a coffee mug(played around with steam in GIMP with some Photoshop brushes):

The PIRATES? … hmmm (diss’n the Braves) I used to love them as a kid…Roberto Clemente is still to this day my favorite player… now I’ll look foolish if that isn’t actually a Pittsburgh Pirate mug, but still nice to think back about Roberto.

The accessories your adding are bringing a nice sense of home.