WRAP retopology tool

Russian3DScanner (R3DS) has released a beta build of Wrap: a new standalone tool for transferring topology from an existing model to a 3D scan, enabling users to retopologise scan data more quickly.Semi-automatic retopology
Rather than setting up new topology manually, Wrap uses a semi-automatic approach similar to traditional image-morphing software, with the user manually identifying corresponding points on both meshes.
R3DS compares the workflow, if not the underlying algorithms, to that of the Morphit script included in Wrapit, but notes that Wrap requires fewer “or no guiding points at all”.
Certainly, the video demo (above) shows the software in action on relatively complex geometry using only a handful of guide points.
R3DS also notes that if Wrap is fed a series of 3D scans of the same model – for example, facial scans of the same actor – the result will be a series of blendshapes.
Pricing and availability
The tool is still clearly advertised as a beta, and R3DS notes that it can be slow on large meshes. If you want to try it now, you can download a demo, or buy it for $75 – half the final price – until 15 April.
It’s currently for Windows 7 only.

http://www.russian3dscanner.com/

Very interesting. Not sure I’d call it a retopology tool, but definitely a much more advanced shrink wrapping tool.

In my opinion, If you have finished modeling something (perhaps a car) but notice that you don’t have very nice edge-flow, you can simply do some retopology to fix it up and make it more efficient, rather then deleting your original mesh and having to model it all over again.

Topogun 2.0 has a similar feature as far as I can remember. I stopped using topogun along with Max & zbrush when I switched to full blender pipeline.But it is useful to know such a tool exists as standalone. I remember a max topology plugin named “Wrap It” I wonder if its the same developer.

I am looking forward for the cgcookie’s topo tool kit , maybe they can develop a similar tool for their own tool kit. How about a similar tool Jonathan ?

bought wrap back in April - the best tool for Projections so far.

it is nothing like Topogun*, Wrap doesn´t do retopos but projections of already made topology which has to be made in an external program.
Wrap also allows baking/transferring of textures which is a nice feature.

• what you could mean is the Morpher option in Topogun but that one also isn´t made for what Wrap can easily do.

the equivalent to Wrap would be the ProjectAll option in Zbrush or in Blender the shrinkwrap function… and the “Selected to Active” in Baking.

Zbrush and Blender are really bad compared to wrap in the discipline of Projections especially if it comes down to projecting different proportioned meshes.

what you could mean is the Morpher option in Topogun but that one also isn´t made for what Wrap can easily do..

@ myclay :

As you can see from my post I wrote a “similar” feature. Because even though it is called “morpher” I think there is some kind of projection going on to the the high poly object. There might be a different system with vertex parenting/linking from low poly to high poly going on in the back ground .

Projectall and shrinkwrap are using a ray based system and they are both automatized, I don’t think thats what wrap is doing so comparing them is a little awkward, Wrap is using user input points to help it make a projection.

And we can see the calculation speed is x10 speedup. How long does it take to process a big mesh. I also wonder how it would project when the mesh has high number of pointy surfaces, like a fanged mouth or spikes on a creature ?

Takes about 10 minutes of setup and 10 minutes to project a 40k poly mesh onto 4.2 mil poly sculpt for me. WELL worth the time and money. Easily the most important new tool in my toolbox since I discovered nDo and dDo. I now have 4 base meshes (male standard, male overweight, female standard, female overweight) that I can simply rewrap to any human/biped sculpt I do. I haven’t done a human retopo by hand since buying, and it’s fantastic!

1 Like

Wow, that is pretty damned impressive. Being able to use a common base mesh and simply sculpting, “wrapping”, then baking textures could come in REAL handy in game development. I am REALLY chuffed about this tool.

What are the limitations of the demo? Features locked? Time trial?

Now here’s an idea for an item for sale on the Blender Marketplace.

One could come up with several optimized primitives (head, hands, torso… etc) then the user simply applies a shrinkwrap modifier to this over their character/sculpt and voila! I suppose you’d just need to use the Proportional editing to just move things to match… of course not as easy as this but doable.

I’ve been using a method similar to this with much headache already. I don’t recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fast and/or accurate projection method. If someone could perfect the technique in blender, I’m all ears.

I’m looking to WRAP hoping it will be a better solution. Blenders shrinkwrap is not even close to what I saw in that demo video.

One could come up with several optimized primitives (head, hands, torso… etc)

Why not enter multires and just sculpt (better say displace) it? The issues of the multires modifier will come to an end one day. (that’s a much better idea). Or just buy zbrush for the job.
You can always duplicate the base mesh and use it as active for baking, right?
Do I miss something here?
Shrinkwrapping a base (project all in Z, or WRAP etc etc ) is simply a displacement and nothing else.
A variation of the same sculpt.

It’s not the same sculpt, it’s a completely different sculpt, different shape, made to conform so well it looks like it was the same :eek:

I’ve used Zbrush before, it has good project from high res to low res. But like blender, you have to manually shape the object by hand and make it “fit like a glove” before projecting, the objects must have the exact same shape. That’s why is only good for transferring detail.

But this application doesn’t care what the shape is. You could fit a skinny humanoid body onto a Incredible Hulk body, topology doesn’t matter, proportions don’t matter either (that’s the big part right there)

You could fit an open hand on to a nearly closing fist. Blender can’t do that automatically.

This is nothing like reprojection in ZBrush. This will completely reshape a base geometry to fit a new shape without any work on the user’s part aside from setting matching landmarks on each mesh.

Hi!

New version of Wrap released - WrapX. It’s purpose - automate topology transfer even more using Python API.

I’m one of the developers so feel free to ask here your questions.

Looks great, Ivan! Can’t wait to give it a try.

Ivan,

The new speed is great! But I definitely miss the ease of not having to touch code to do basic operations. Are there plans to improve the GUI for people who don’t want to deal with scripting?

After doing some research I’ve found that there’s some nice and simple yet powerful flexibility in the api. I might take a stab at a basic integration with blender when I’ve got some free time!

Hi!

Of course there is a lot of work to improve UI and we already working on it. But since the whole point of WrapX is batch scripting, touching code is necessary. There are some things which can be discussed about UI like autogenerating of code depending on user actions.

For users who don’t need scripting we will update Wrap with algorithms from WrapX.

I think that integration with Blender can be very cool. It can require API additions to make transparent object transfer between python extension and Blender, so if you have any suggestions on how to do it, I will very appreciate them.