Lemon & Tea

I just have one more thing to add, outside of texturing the table, and that’s a chair.

But so far like some thoughts on this. Particularly the lemon which I can’t seem to get right.

try to expand tea mesh a little, let this mesh overflow over cup mesh, then you achive refraction result correctly.
nice scene btw

the smoke is wierd, but it almost makes a face, so you might want to keep it.
the lemon inside needs to be more saturated and yellow i think
the tea bag should be puffed up and usually i think they still have tea leaves in them even after they are dunked
the sugar cubes are a bit flat, maybe displace + noise tex?
the spoon handle could be bent more
other than that really cool and good! love the tea :slight_smile:

1. the smoke - I’m weighing the pros and cons of having steam. I might adjust it or just take it off entirely.
  2. okay, lemon noted
  3. tea bag, there’s isn’t a teabag yet. I’m unsure if I want to keep the teabag lapel or not.
  4. sugar cubes, flat. Ah yes. They were a hassle to get sorted for subsurf scattering and coloring but will try the noise / displace.
  5. spoon bent, was wondering that

I might also add a slight displace to the lemons to give it a bit less uniformity

I’m at school right now and won’t have my blend until later but I see the issue with the lemon slice
http://kayahewitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1003p48-lemon-slice-l.jpg

In comparison to above it’s very washed out, however in comparison to a real lemon slice it’s closer
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/Slice_of_Lemon.jpg/800px-Slice_of_Lemon.jpg

So somewhere in between I’d say

Ps. Did anyone happen to see the lemon slice in the tea? Or should I move it elsewhere.

Good work.
I like very much the tea, the fluid. Its colors are wonderful, it looks real tea. I like the interior lemon, but no much the outside color, I think is too green. I like the general composition, when you add texture to the table, it will look good!

i think the lemons outside also has a too dense noise material, maybe decrease the size. but i agree that that reallly looks like tea :slight_smile:

oh, i see the lemon in the tea now :). i think you should split it and put it over the edge like in those fruit drinks :slight_smile:

I guess I should have put this in the WIPs instead - thought I was done, keep adding. Didn’t like the sugar as it’s not typical with lemon tea so honey with honey dipper instead. The chair is hardly anywhere near done, just placed for positioning. And got to figure if I want to candles everywhere or more center.

Moved from “Focused Critique” to “Works in Progress” at OP request.

I did see the lemon slice in the tea… while I was looking for the tea bag :slight_smile: The lemon looks like it has a membrane covering the juicy interior of the lemon segments. Makes it look dry rather than wet. The photograph of the real lemon slice shows a more ‘lumpy’ texture inside the sliced segments with less regular specular highlights.

Yes, and it’s been a hassle to try and copy. I’ve looked at the fruit tutorials - price doesn’t cover the lime slice which in his splash textures has the slice. Another tutorial doesn’t look quite right.

If anyone knows how to do this more realistically it’d be great.

Latest

Hello KuroOokami.
Lemons often show lobes when seen from the side. Slicing with a knife leaves a neat, sharp border. Now it’s too rounded. The bottom could be more pointed, with a tiny, dark spot in the middle. Also, the point can be greener then the rest. The overall colour could be brighter/more saturated. When I have to tackle something yellow my colour is always too green or too red. If you got this issue you also get my simpathy.
Congrats about the scene. It’s turning out well and I like it!