Exported fbx - unity 3d problem

Hi all.
I’m new to blender the only experience is way back making counter strike maps with world craft LOL.

Any who it’s still fun using blender once you learn how things work.

Here’s the thing I’ve made my first model a pretty cool axe.

Exported it as a fbx and put it into a map I’m working on using unity 3d.

There is nothing on the map side after dragging it onto my map, completely and total not there.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

Any advice is good advice.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Import settings.
Change Scale Factor from 0.01 to 1

Got me exited aomeoni but sadly that didn’t work.
I tried this, made a new project added a few default objects then exported and imported into unity.
This worked.
The one thing that’s different is I can see the square and cylinder on the icon under assets but for my axe it’s the default icon.

I have not much to go on here…
Can you attach an FBX that you can’t get into Unity?
Something simple like Monkey
I’ll check it for you.

Thanks for the help.

The monkey was a success.
Here’s a link to the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9a3evcygg0m2fgv/JM_0nbFIrc

The monkey was a success!
heres a link to my files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9a3evcygg0m2fgv/JM_0nbFIrc

Okay… looked at your axe blend file.
Your mesh has numerous problems.
Overlapping faces, nonmanifold geometry, flipped normals, nonplanar surfaces, intersecting geometries, impossible ngons…
You cannot bring this into a game engine.

Here’s the best advice I can give:
Do a FREE cgcookie course on how to model:

As luck would have it, they teach you to model an axe!

You need to learn some basics before you go rushing off to make a game.

So I have to learn patience and just how long will that take :slight_smile:
And here I thought I did pretty good.
ill take the course.
Thanks for your help.

Wow just watched the first video man that’s intense.

World Craft! Loved it! I had a little moan way back about how snapping a vertex to an edge would create a new vertex and physically join them in World Craft, but in Blender this is a multiple step process involving subdividing the edge, sliding the vertex and merging the vertex you wish to join.

This in essence is probably your problem. As aomeoni stated, this will create a non-manifold mesh (non watertight) resulting in big phat holes in your mesh. In Unity these parts with holes wont render.

In Blender, where you have snapped a vertex to an edge, grab a vertex and move it around with G. You will see that a big hole appears in your solid. Create a vertex on the edge by subdividing and Vertex-Slide it to where your snapped-to vertex is. Enabling Auto-Merge editing will make this easier. When you have eliminated all these holes, recalculate your Normals to Outside.

Another thing that makes something non-manifold is Internal edges and faces. Where you have all those edges on the curve of your axe, internalised by the straight edge, delete the internal edges.

Another thing you must do is Unwrap your mesh to create a UV map.

Note that Unity will NOT import materials from Blender so you must texture the model externally (or export your textures separately) and import the textures in to a Unity shader, which you select in the Model’s Unity material.

I must say, it looks a bit like you imported to Blender from Sketchup. Sketchup is not very mesh friendly and exported meshes are an absolute effin mess. Not good for Unity.

Also, in your export screen, deselect Camera and Lamp, as you don’t want those being imported in to your Unity scene.

But as for the axe, really, make a new one! It’d be quicker than fixing this one.

World Craft was cool.
thanks for all the tips Meat5000.
I went into blender knowing things would be different.
And different they are.
took me forever to figure out how to move two vertexes at once in top view gerrr!!!
been watching a whack load of basics videos.
I have started my axe over, there was to much to fix.
all seems to be working I’ll save now and then to check it in unity if I goofed.
ohh is there a way to tell if something’s not right within blender?

Edit Mode, Vertex or Edge mode, deselect all. Click non-manifold, or loose geometry.

Interior faces - Face Mode

These kind of things work best in wireframe view.

Hello

. I have some problems with exporting FBX animations from Blender to Unity 3D. I need to export only deform bones, export properties have checkbox “only deforms bones” , but it did not work at all. And as cause i have all bones with all keys animation ( control bones, deform bones and helpers bones ) in fbx file, and it influence to file size. Earlier i work with 3ds max and it don’s have this problem, exported FBX file from 3ds max studio have much smaller size than exported from Blender. I use blender 2.70. Can you help me found a solution to this problem?

Select your non-deform bones and make sure that the box is unchecked, as in my image.