Will BGE have this capabilities some day?

Idk if it was posted before.

No chance in our lifetime.

It looks like GSL nodes, and shape keys LOD and a nice render…

it’s not that far off,

1 summer of code could do this with the right goals.

I already posted a video with the snowdrop engine, the same video :slight_smile: but for BGE? it’s qiute far off. But WHAT would be cool is seeing systems like Flakes being done.

And the possibilities to have a seamless i/o from blender to such game engines as snow drops. not only the modelling, rigging, animation. But the entire node trees done in Blender and exported into the game engine.

that would be such a killer feature,

BGE had all those options , and more , like … 20 years ago.

I think blueprintrandom is, for the most part, correct. One of the road-blocks that would come up rather quickly would be efficiency. Snowdrop would most likely be far more efficient.

From a technical perspective a lot could, possibly, be completed in BGE.

All of the assets could be of course (even the procedural building construction and environment assets (with scripts of course)), and some of the in-game effects through HLSL, however it would require a lot of work, not just on the art side, but also on the coding/ scripting side. And with the state of the BGE, from what I recall, I don’t think it’d run that well with a massive amount of elements/ effects being drawn + AI + i/o et al.

Off the Blender-topic, the tools and engine look incredible to use.

When tools such as Snowdrop are available (albeit not publicly,) I’d just prefer to use that, and use Blender for creating assets that cannot be scripted, or created in snowdrop (effects, environment setups etcetera.)

No one has really tried to make a AAA bge game since In game LOD was implimented,

Sure it is a lot of work, but what is the bottleneck except the render?
Python is a little slow, but logic nodes are quite snappy.

Adding mobile feature to the bge will be more beneficial than photoreal graphics. But yeah, need more gsoc students to work on this features.

Creating photo-realistic graphics is possible in everything. It just takes the right artists. I’ve seen some terrible games, and some amazing ones in made with the exact same engine. Hell, I’ve seen a near photo-realistic flash game before!
A tool is only as good as its craftsman.
That said, there are some limitations to the bge still, though with recent logic optimizations and LoD, it’s certainly getting there.

Agreed. Mobile development attracts huge attention, therefore would bring more money, therefore more development :slight_smile: though it’s still hella task.

Could someone make a export pipleline for logic ?

from what I see that is the biggest issue,

any render will show a model made for it,
but not everything can import blenders logic (which is my favorite thing in the world after my daughter :D)

That was what i was thinking.But for game engines like unity and then unreal game engine.Think about how good it would be to do
that.Because you could make a voxel game in blender and export it to unity and also export other games.Then it would be more effecient.You can already export models to unity.The next logical step would be to export the logic.I guess if you talked about this on the unity forum.They would take this and make it a addon for unity. Then you would have to pay for it to use it.Unless you beat them to it.

Make the logic bricks more user friendly and before you know it artists would flock to the BGE. Problem for content creators, is that they have to find a coder to deal with the programming. The snowdrop engine looks really neat, seems like most features are already built in and the artists can play with nodes to program the basic features of the game.

Enable artists to not have to mess around with code and great stuff will come from the BGE. Look at the popular rpg makers from enterbrain, tons of games made with that and posted online. The BGE could get as popular if developers made it more user friendly to non programmers. A game engine is only as great as user friendly it is to actual artists.

Not meaning to offend coders but at the end of the day it’s the artists that makes the game immersive and impressive.

Not to offend artists, but it is programmers who define the difference between a render and a game.

I wish there were more of us working on 1 thing at one time.

Here’s the difference between an artist’s product and a coder’s product.
ARTIST

CODER

The first one was made by brushes and paint, the second one was made using code. There are direct parallels between this comparison and the relationship an artist has with the coder. Make the artist capable of creating the game without having to dabble with shaders and code and the product will be amazing, not only aesthetically. Artists would be able to be more creative too when it comes to the gameplay.

Don’t get me wrong the geeks are needed, but they should be working behind the scenes and make the game engine as clean as they can make it, it should be as easy to use a game engine as it is to use a pen, then we’re talking. Mac beats windows for the exact same reason, too bad Jobs was fired or we’d have amazing computers today.

Don’t take offense to this, it’s not meant to hurt but to highlight an issue in the game industry. Most games are terrible for this very reason.

It’s the programmer who gives the artist the ability to make something great. But in the long run, both the artist and the programmer are innovators.

BGE will never have the capabilities of the SnowDrop engine. Ton Roosendaal himself said that BGE will never reach the capacity of high end engines, but he’ll continue to ensure it remains a useful tool. BGE isn’t really a game engine in all senses-it’s really more of a hybrid. It’s mostly there so you can see your assets created in realtime. By 3.0 though, expect to see the engine having progressed to the point of a legitimate engine, but it will never see the presets used for game development platforms. That’s part of why I love it so much.

This is a bit of a dead end, in honesty. There is no “better” operating system, nor computer, they each have their own merits. As a developer, I loathe Macintosh as you are so constrained by a single linear workflow, the same workflow that makes it friendly to non programmers. Equally, Apple devices are user friendly, according to Apple’s definition of user, which I am not.

A game isn’t any more of an Artist’s product than a programmer. You argue for ease of use and modularity, and the same concepts apply to art work. Models can be created from modular pieces, assets can be reused. Should we not argue that Artists should be able to program rather than programmers be able to design art?

No, because both arguments are single minded, and do not recognise the necessity for both parties’ involvement. Non-programmer solutions only go so far. The more simplified something becomes, the more limited it becomes. To make programming easier, it has to become something that isn’t programming. At which point, you’re not programming, and hence, you’re not achieving what you intended to.

<—Artist turned semi-coder

we are all “floats”

we are not Boolean.

Thats why we all discuss and need to make it into usable game engine.