3D Coat 4.1 is out with new feature

http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-41/

https://youtu.be/aMuFF8TfsW0

Does the sculpting feel any better in this release?

The sculpting feels really great,the program improved a lot recently.

It looks to be almost to the point where it would give Pixologic and Autodesk a run for their money, that Lathe modifier idea is one of those things that lead you to bang your head thinking why no one else has thought of doing it that way (time for the Blender devs. to look at building curve widgets into the modifier stack, ones that allow multiple curves at that).

And it’s almost funny that what is now the best UV unwrapping algorithm in the industry was almost discovered by accident (when someone was trying to fix a bug, but I guess that’s where some of the best things are found).

I don’t think we can “adopt” many ideas from 3dcoat Ace.
The base of 3dcoat is the voxels room. It performs beautifully. A paradise of booleans, direct cuts and other operations.
So close to an artists needs.
We are (in blender) very far away from such approaches.
On the other hand, sculpting brushes in 3dcoat still don’t feel right to me.

for me the best sculpting experience is zbrush, sculptris, blender, modo and I never tried 3d coat i’m going to try it to confirm what michalis says about the sculp feel

I have tried finding videos and tutorials of 3DCoat, even downloaded the demo and tried it out. It just seems that not that many people are using it nor is there a lot of support for it. It would help a lot for someone to do a complete AAA tier modeling process and post it to Youtube. I just can’t justify spending a lot of time with a software that’s unproven.

for me the best sculpting experience is zbrush, sculptris, blender, modo and I never tried 3d coat i’m going to try it to confirm what michalis says about the sculp feel

My fault, a complete misunderstanding.
So many artists love it.
It simply not for me. It is very personal. Please try it. You may love it.
Completely different behavior than in blender ZB, sculptris, for sure.

I have tried finding videos and tutorials of 3DCoat, even downloaded the demo and tried it out. It just seems that not that many people are using it nor is there a lot of support for it.

No, this is wrong.

3d coat is a great application. I really like overall modelling process, you can freely mix booleans, lathes, cuts, brushing, change the shape fundamentally (e.g. sphere to torus), pose your model, paint as you go, and the wonderful “curves” primitive - and that’s just off the top of my head. That freedom isn’t immediately attained though - the software has a multitude of quirks and many confusing settings that can make tools effectively seem broken, and, while much improved in this release, it can be tough to dial in comfortable settings for sculpting brushes. So there is a learning curve, but imo, its well worth the effort. That’s before even considering its uv, retopo and painting tools.

3D Coat also has a nice layering system that behaves much like traditional layers in programs like Photoshop. ZBrush, to me, has such an odd interface and steep learning curve that it puts me off. That said, ZB has by far the best sculpting tools available.

Lot of people are using it. Cant show their work because EULA.

This article mentions how 3D-Coat (among some other tools) was used in making of PS3 game called “Beyond: Two Souls”

Artist Fuad
Hard surface stuff with voxels
Used keyshot for render

let see what i can do with it…

3d coat is super unstable on linux. It starts off nice, but keeps crashing randomly

@blurymind

are you using the version 4.1 ?

@blurymind that hasn’t really been my experience. It works marvelously on Linux Mint, haven’t had a single crash.

nah i am using an older version. Maybe they improved it then

Can anybody comment on retopology in 3DCoat 4.1 compared to what we have in Blender today?

BTW…my personal thanks to the Blender-People for this latest release!! :yes: Way to go guys!!

Can anybody comment on retopology in 3DCoat 4.1 compared to what we have in Blender today?

Coat has automatic clean retopology. Blender does not.

zbrush and mudbox do too. B3d has some catching up to do :slight_smile:

Better visualization when working. Lot of useful tools / UI.
However… I could think otherwise.
IMO, 3DCoat retopo room uses a different approach. We can do exactly the same in blender by involving the shrinkwrap modifier.
Now, in blender/shrinkwrap mod, you can use an offset, exactly as 3dcoat does.
If you are familiar with this blender workaround, you may already noticed some serious difficulties. The same happens in 3dcoat. Unfortunately. So, I may prefer blender for retopo.
On the other hand, a new, reworked auto-retopology now in 3dcoat. Close to the z remesher (ZB) quality. Not that close though.
3DCoat’s real power is the painting room. Miles ahead blender. All the tools we wish to see in blender, are there.
IMO, blender and 3dcoat is a very powerful combination. Probably more powerful and reasonable than a zbrush+blender combo.