Map Design Help Needed

This map has already too many parts or pieces and it’s not even finished yet. Anybody good with mapping ? I could use some help or ideas. Also has collision problems even with the sub-steps set to max.

Attachments

Tile Map 001.blend (456 KB)

Use the boolean modifier to merge all the objects.

There is no way to rename the thread ? I meant Map design not … Mad … lol

You can alter the name of the thread by editing the first post, and then going to “Advanced Edit”.

But mad design is more like what I do when I need to relieve some stress :smiley:

So I looked at your map.

It’s well done and not to many pieces,

more pieces = more parts you can clone to make other things “Architectural chunks”
LOD for big objects does not work well,

I learned the other day however that if you can use 1 large uv map for all items it presents a speed up,
your physics return on my computer was less then 02.ms

That is not bad at all.

For baking light maps and ambient occlusion I have to merge everything into one object , but to get any benefits from instances I have to keep everything separated into small pieces. So , I have no idea how to make this mess work. The baking is not happening properly either. To create separate UV’s for each piece is going to take forever. I need a script I guess.

We need a “stitch 1 large uv”, with the ability to bake on sections, and re-do them if need be,

so you grab a hord of objects, and click -> Bake to large map

If you map is a building, so divide the building in rooms and bake a AO for each room.
If you map is a terrain, keep the terrain divide in tiles and bake a AO for each tile, and for each type of tree, rock,etc bake a AO.

Was just reading about batching, and loading 20 models, with 20 maps is slower then loading a big texture and loading geometry as needed.

Anyway it was an idea, I have little experience with this, You may be right,

PD: i am reading a little about you said.

edited, edited

What is the point in making each model an individual object if they’re all in the right place. Better to merge all static models into one model then turn off collisions on it. Then use an invisible less resource taking object to detect the collisions for the player. Loading geometry as needed is really only useful on large open world games.

Those kind of games however are not very good games most of the time, it’s important to set your priorities straight. Even use pre rendered objects on occasion. If people had their heads screwed on correctly there’d be many really nice looking games today without fancy shaders etc. You just got to make use of the many tricks that are available. Like look at the alone in the dark game for the ps1, I’d argue that looks better than a lot of the new games today for the ps3.

If game makers would bring the attitude they put on the alone in the dark game to the next generation engines, games could look like landscape paintings with high poly sculpted trees swaying in the background, leaf particles and a lot of fancy stuff. Every single object in the scene don’t have to be a model, control the camera and use planes and imagery to save memory.

LOD is an un-imaginary man’s tool.

Polycount Kills games,

plain pain and simple.

LOD = highly detailed when it need be, no detail when you don’t need it.

What is the point in making each model an individual object if they’re all in the right place. Better to merge all static models into one model then turn off collisions on it. Then use an invisible less resource taking object to detect the collisions for the player. Loading geometry as needed is really only useful on large open world games.

Those kind of games however are not very good games most of the time, it’s important to set your priorities straight. Even use pre rendered objects on occasion. If people had their heads screwed on correctly there’d be many really nice looking games today without fancy shaders etc. You just got to make use of the many tricks that are available. Like look at the alone in the dark game for the ps1, I’d argue that looks better than a lot of the new games today for the ps3.

If game makers would bring the attitude they put on the alone in the dark game to the next generation engines, games could look like landscape paintings with high poly sculpted trees swaying in the background, leaf particles and a lot of fancy stuff. Every single object in the scene don’t have to be a model, control the camera and use planes and imagery to save memory.

LOD is an un-imaginary man’s tool.

please don’t be insulting. lets try and play nice.
:yes:

Have you guys tried the Texture Atlas plugin/script ? I think the texture atlas works better for baking. Here is one test result.

Attachments

AtlasBake.blend (1.58 MB)

Here is another version. Night time version ?

Attachments

AtlasBakeMirrored.blend (1.57 MB)