Transport Train

any critique on this image? i felt i did really good but idk maybe somethings not right :spin:

there is always something that can be improved!
but my opinion its GREAT nice DOF (not overdone)
but has come right out the showroom! add some dirt, litter and graffiti
If you want to make it look used

yea ive gotten that a lot for this image i was going for a newly refurbished train but looks like everyone likes the dirt and grunge scenes lol

I love it.

One thing that will aid in the narrowness, turn the floor texture by 90 degrees.

Won’t that make the train look even more narrow? I’m sure that the texture being horizontal is the better approach.

That is why skinny people are supposed to where clothes with horizontal stripes and not vertical ones - horizontal stripes make them appear larger.

its pretty clean, maybe some posters or texts or grafiti ?

yea haha you’re one of 500 that has said that ill aim to fix that later won’t make that mistake again

Argh - I wrote a long response but I accidentally lost it. :frowning:

To summarise:

• Looks good
  • The grime comments are probably because the train has an old style (~70s?), but looks clean. That’s probably not something anyone sees today (a train from that era that looks unused). If it is supposed to be an old train when it was new, then perhaps some post pro to make the image look like it was taken in that era might help people place it.
  • Scale. DOF and focal length make it look a little bit minature to me. Are you planning on putting any people in there? Size is all relative to how big we are, so the easist way to fix the size of something in an image is often to have people in it. With something to size the train against that DOF might be even better.

i agree with the size of the train. i used real world units to size the height of the train. The height was about 7 or 8 feet cause you know they’re are rarely people that height haha

…and i am the 501rst person to say this: please make it dirtyier!
if it really is supposed to be '70s then wood is okay but i think 99.999% of all modern ones are mostly plastic
pretty cool though (but the door needs a handle)

More details are needed. Also, there’s some weird defects in the image where there are grainy and non-grainy sections. This is a zoomed in version of your image:

See how it’s really obvious? Anyway, good image overall. Good job.

yea ik i saw that and didn’t know how to fix it. it bothers me a lot but it think it’s from defocus node

image is overall a bit plain, some sort of subject in the middle standing out from the rest would be nice. image quality is great with a nice effect of only being in clear focus in the middle of the image. some light grime would help but it wouldn’t need to be a colossal amount and it would be better as stains and floor scuffs than as rubbish scattered around.

Ok i understand about the grime part now cause at first i thought y’all were talkin about rubbish and debris not like stains and paper trash. I wasn’t goin for seventies my reference images were actually modern trains one was like an airport type train and the other was like a bus looking train idk

i mixed different parts of the two to make something original but as i put the wood i found my image was mostly brown which i wasn’t going for but i liked it haha so i just stuck with. Changing the floor to a plaster or metallic material probably would’ve made it look less 70’s though

Great image I love the composition. From a critic point of view either the metal piping needs to be shined up to correspond with the newer train look. Notice even in your reference photo’s the piping is chromed or at least cleaner looking. The other way to go would be to add a little wear to the seats, wood, windows, and the walking path of the floor. Just a touch of wear… doesn’t have to be all dirty. Hope that helps some.

My guess is that’s an artifact of a glare node in the compositor, maybe because it is combined with depth of field? Anyway, I think this is nearly photorealistic. For my eye, you wouldn’t have to add grunge and dirt to improve the scene. I’ve been in the Washington, DC metro train inspection center where they maintain (clean up/repair) cars, and some of them are quite new looking. One thing that would help though, is nearly every car I’ve ever been in has a map of the line and stations on the walls as well as advertising banners.

Good job!

I agree, you don’t need to grunge it and make it dirty. However, the image alone is a little bland. There is no story, nothing to focus your eyes on. I’m sure adding an advert or instructional banner would help out.

yea thats the other thing with the grundge everyone has there different point of views from riding different trains in different places so I’m getting critique on different perspectives which isn’t bad at all now i have the knowledge to make scenes more accurate depending on the age, style, and place but i set myself up for that haha since, like what NickWoelk said, it’s too bland i should have added like a map or advert or something. didn’t think about that cause it was a modeling and texturing project to test my modeling, UV mapping, and texturing skills, yet for future projects i will focus more on the story of the project.

See360, the artifact came from the defocus node. i like using DOP from that cause it shortens render times but unfortunately it is more sloppy than doing it from the camera settings

Thanks for elucidating what you know about the artifact coming from the defocus node :slight_smile: