BGE Realistic Forest/Landscape Demo [Blendfile]

Hi everyone,

I tried to accomplish some realistic foliage in the Blender Game Engine.
This is just a small demo with a Landscape and a hut which you can explore.
But I think it´s pretty good for my first solid game piece and I hope you like it.
Please give me some Feedback.

Thanks to:
OliverMH for his awsome lowpoly models (almost all of them are from him)
Martinsh for his 2dfilters
CrimsonEye for the Godrays 2dfilter
Steven O´Brien for the music

-UPDATE:

As suggested I added in a shotgun from veti and the water shader from martinsh.

screen:

-Update (includes wind):

blendfile: landscapedemo.zip

Controls:
w,a,s,d,space - movement
f - toggle gun
right mouse - aim
left mouse - shoot

-BRS

1 Like

If you could fix that texture stretching on the hill it would be even more amazing. Other than that it’s very neat, the best environment I’ve seen in BGE yet. I haven’t looked much into BGE though :slight_smile:

Very cool, AWESOME JOB o-o Vegetation looks sick, but you might wanna find a way to do efficient mid-range groundcover (on the still photo, the horizon of the hill and the foreground look great, but the dirt of the far hill is … well… just dirt. Or so it seems).

Also, for your light rays, they don’t seem to follow a correct direction corresponding to the sun; check out this:

It correctly calculates the expansion point for the rays based on the screen location of the “sun” object.

Looks better then new Vegas , with all mods :smiley:

That looks awesome; is there a shot gun on the ground somewhere? I would love to go and shoot that very noisy bird, blackbird or thrush perhaps; I recognise it so one I was used to hearing where I grew up. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d love to see a blend file; if possible.

Very amazing work. The shadows are baked or in real time?
Please, upload the blend soon!

Thanks. The shadows are in Realtime. I only baked the ambient occlusion.
I will upload the blend soon, so stay tuned.

-BRS

Hehe. Okay so now you have to wait for the blendfile until I have added in the shotgun :D.

-BRS

I’d get a better grass texture but looks good.

By far, one of the most beautiful landscapes I’ve ever seen in the BGE.
However, I’d recommend using water shader with refractions and reflections.
Here: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?242940-unlimited-planar-reflections-amp-refraction-(update)

Really good work. :-o I hope help to improve the team developers of the bge. To improve performance or improve with new useful features for next version of blender. A lot of thanks for you work!
David Gámiz Jiménez

You must put the grass and the smallest rocks in “no collision” mode for improve the framerate.

I just did that. The problem with the framerate is that Blenders Game Engine can´t handle too many Objects in a single scene.
I have more than 300 grass and 400 stone objects in the scene.

please post your updates on this group :slight_smile:
its awesome

It looks very good:) I suggest you to bake shadows on the ground and mark to not recive any shadows, also you can bake shadows on the house. Trees should only cast bufered shadows and recive it, the same rocks. Grass should be none collision and should not cast any buffered shadows but they should recive transparent shadows.
You can look on my small test of LOD, where i have about 2700 objects at once on the scene and it works pretty well, 60fps on my old computer. The problem appears when i’m adding filters like bloom or light scattering, also water with refractions and reflections consumes a lot of processing power. I’ve made a test on my computer to check how many objects can be processed in BGE using LOD without water and filters and it was about 2700(trees, ground, rocks) + 7000 (small plants and grass), that means it was 10700 objects and i’ve had 45 fps. The problem with LOD is the popping effect witch is visible, There is no fade in fade out system combined with LOD.

When I tried to make grass I find out it’s much more efficient to make one giant grass object than 300 small grasses.
P.S. Also, links are dead, please reupload

Yep I’m going to reupload it soon. For now i’m working on an update including wind. When i’m finished i will upload the blendfile here.

Heyyyy, it’s my shotgun :):slight_smile: (I really like when someone uses my models in a good way)
As far as BGE goes - I’m very impressed how good looking it is. Very nice work!

Thanks veti. Your shotgun is an awsome model and fits the scene very great.

I’m Impressed, never thought that Blender Game Engine could achieve this Quality.