SHOTS FIRED! new AMD workstation card 16 gb frame buffer up to 6 4k displays

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7901/amd-announces-firepro-w9100

New NVidia Titan Z…
[http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-announces-titan-z

$3000 :eek:](http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-announces-titan-z)

how many threads were started today because of that stupid worthless gpu lol

the amd has more memory than any other gpu it can use the full 16 gb because its a single gpu card

It also probably cost a fortune and it`s not usable for Cycles and 90% other GPU renderers out there.

but AMD’s drivers suck. :frowning:

guess you guys havnt been on twitter… heh shame

i see your one of the people that feel like they got screwed by amd

it has 16 gb of usable memory the titan z has 6 i was just pointing it out and thats the 3rd titan from nvidia we should all start to hate them a little now for trying to take as much money as they can

780 780 ti titan titan black titan z tesla k20 quadro k6000 are all the exact same thing… they hate us

The hot, wet stink of fanboyism is pervasive in this thread…

Not sure who exactly they’re trying to target with this card. I can only imagine 16GB of vRAM being useful for GPU rendering (you’ll hit other bottlenecks long before that in any 3D suite), but there are so few GPU renderers that run on AMD that I feel like this is the result of someone high up at AMD saying “I don’t care what it is, just make a bigger number than the other guys”.

I guess Bitcoin miners will eat up the processing power, but there are cheaper alternatives out there, and you don’t near nearly that much memory. Well, color me confused. I’ve been burned enough times with AMD/ATI hardware over the years that I’ll be watching this one from a distance either way.

This is all pointless… AMD cards are solid pieces of hardware… I dont think anyone really contests that…but the glaring issue as to why people avoid them is that they lack proper software/driver support and development.

No matter how good their cards get, if they cant compete equally with nvidia on the driver/software side its all for naught.

Yeah, not sure what engine nowadays supports OpenCl like Octane does with CUDA for example. Also ATI drivers on Linux still sucks compared to Nvidia or Intel…

lol!

The AMD twitters say there’s some good news brewing for Blender and Linux enthusiasts, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I, for one, am excited. Nvidia commands 85% of the professional marker, and because of that, they are arrogant as all hell. Their tiny iterations between products, combined with HUGE price differences, reminds me of Intel in the 1990’s, when they sold the same damned CPU under a million different SKUs.

I desperately want AMD to succeed, and $4,000 is still to expensive, in my eyes, but it at least undercuts the K6000 by a grand. Of course, Nvidia will either release a K6000 Black, or other such nonsense, or they will drop the price of the K6000 to the W9100… meaning that AMD will make no progress.

Sigh.

i would acctualy reither see the new line of quadros based on maxwell

I wouldn’t hold my breath for Maxwell, no matter how cool that would be… both figuratively and literally, what with the tiny heatsink the 750i is sporting.

Considering how quiet Nvidia is being as regards higher-performance Maxwell, and the fact that Maxwell’s headline feature of unified memory has been pushed back to their 2016 Pascal release, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nvidia’s next Quadro is a mere refresh of Kepler to see them through 2015.

acctualy btw that AMD card that have 16 gigs of memory? for what?! There is acctualy no some ready to work rendering engine on AMD GPU… sooo what is this memory for? just to say heyyy we have more memory?

Perhaps it’s AMD’s solution to kernel compilation issues. That’s the problem that all of the developers are having with AMD’s cards; whenever they try to compile the full render kernel, it balloons in size, fills video memory, then crashes. I seriously hope that’s not their motivation, because man, that’s… inelegant.

hahahahahahahhahaha made my day :smiley:

I am going to guess this isnt the case, because ton has asked for people with firepro cards to help test the drivers – http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2014-March/043172.html