Ascent

Hello all.

My name is Samuel Moxham. My team and I would like to introduce you to our project ‘Ascent’.
I am going to do my best to keep this brief. (Most likely I will fail)

This game is being developed for an assignment (We have until May 28th to complete). Our goal if to create an audio/visual production with the theme ‘Imagining the Future’.

Progress Meter:[INDENT=4][First Release]
[/INDENT]
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[99%-//
Game Outline:

The essential aim of the game is to construct a space-station and get as many people off Earth as possible in a given time frame.
The genre is casual/simulation and the game is set in outer space.
Each play-through lasts 10 to 30 minutes.
Game Story:

When each play-through begins a random scenario is chosen for the player. These scenarios vary in drama but all result in the need for humanity to leave Earth. It is then the players job to create a space station to accommodate this need (We have a very bleak outlook of the future, I guess this is what makes the money).
A few examples of these scenarios include: (On the dramatic side) Giant Asteroids, Alien Invasions, Earths destabilization (global warming and the likes). But also less dramatic reasons such as Overpopulation and Class segregation (The rich leaving to live in space leaving the poor on Earth).
Production Timeline:

The 20th of April will be the first games release (Don’t hold us to it). This release will contain the fundamentals of the game and provide us a core fall back if we do not hit the project deadline with all our ambitious ideas. (This will be privately tested)
The final game production will be presented on June 4th (In Hamilton, New Zealand. All welcome I’ll give details in PM’s if interested)

The general scope of the game is very simple and we aim to make it as visually appealing as possible with an extremely detailed soundtrack.
We will post weekly updates to this thread including pictures, screenshots and sound bites. There is also the possibility of us doing a development live stream where you can meet the team, ask questions and watch us work.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Progress Tracker:
Game finished, doing documentation

Note: Please critique and comment! This thread is extremely valuable to us and the projects documentation.

I have been working on a component assembly system for some time,

Who is your coder?

My game takes place in a space station as well, do you need a artificial gravity system?

Hello BluePrintRandom. I am the coder for the project (Samuel Moxham). Our game itself doesn’t take place inside the space station. The idea is to construct it my putting various pieces together.

Heres a few pictures of a space station I constructed earlier

Private Testing:
We are just over a week away from the first version of our game being complete. We are very close.
For our first release we would like ten people selected from the internet to give some formal feedback.

To get access to this test send an application to [email protected]
Following this format

Name: (Full name)

Occupation: (What consumes most your time, student/unemployed/electrician/astronaut)

Your favorite games: (One or two games you love, possibly a little statement why you love them)

Your favorite game Genre: (one or two of your preferred genres to play.)

How long do you spend playing games? (A few hours each week/ a few hours every odd day/ 1-2 hours everyday/ 3-6 hours everyday/ 7+ hours each day)

The information provided is used to assess eligibility for testing and if you fit our preference audience.

We will get back to you within 4 workings days.

Game is finished. Will post a download link to the game next week Tuesday. I will post screenshots in a moment. I will also put some songs up onto soundcloud from our soundtrack for your leisure.

Thanks to all the people who helped test, many issues with the game are still in the game unfortunately (silly deadlines).

My group and I are unsure about pursuing this game after the assignment is finished. We will most likely see what response we get and decide from there.

Thank you all!
I love the Blender community! (Regardless of the astonishing number of people who told us to give up)

Give the game a go. Windows only.
Loads of issues, don’t push settings button or build an Earth Watcher Small. If something goes wrong the ‘Home’ key quits that game.
I am very proud of this game, especially the tiny development window it was made in (three month), multitasking with 5 other assignments.

Download:
Ascent Game

Video for those who couldn’t download the game :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing ! I liked the game, and believe that “Ascent” has loads of potential.
The game is very visionary ! keep it up…

We’re looking for a few people to join our team. We are particularly interested in a 3D modeller with knowledge of the game engine and python. We also need a 2D artist with experience in concept art and design.

If you are interested send a portfolio (or evidence of your skill) to [email protected] it would also be nice for us to know a bit about you. We will then take it from there.