Android 3D Modelling Apps

Hi, i wanna make a global topic to talk about Android modelling/sculpting existing fully working tool, sharing your experiences, i tried theses both with my Google Nexus 5 and my Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid, in mind to make a concept or 3d sketch and export in blender.

I’ll paste here from the better to the worth:

1. Spacedraw is for me the best now, most complete, but his GUI is a bit disappointing.

2)SubDivFormer is more a subdivision surface modelling, woking better on a tablet, there is a display resolution problem with the text under the icons on my Nexus 5. Otherwise i feel better with the Gui behaviour.

1. sketcher 3D is more a toy, not a serious 3d creating app

2. Truesculpt which is totally free,is interesting to quick sculpt low poly concept, shapes etc… on your way, with your fingers or a stylus. Using blender icons :cool:, so accustomed blender users will quickly find their feet. For the newbies, it’s alike very easy to go with it. The cool stuff is Truesculpt automatically save your project in the .obj format so switching from your tablet/mobile to your computer is very easy.

3. d3D Sculptor FREE, his interface are just horrible, navigation is not optimized for tablets, has big buttons, annoying sound when you clic on them (fortunately you can mute sound), big pub at the bottom and when you do nothing for a moment. Ignoring these things, he provide more advanced sculpt tool than truesculpt, you can choose with wich form you will start, sphere, square, head, architectural or importing your own on .obj file format, have an undo/redo features, texture function. Looks like a good idea but but sloppy or too quickly released.

whats the advantage of modeling on an android? wouldnt it be faster (and easier, because the screen is bigger) to sculpt on a computer? but truesculpt looks interesting, is there a version for linux?

The advantages are about more tactile,touch,pressure capacity than mobile port itself, it seems a bit more natural, using your fingers and eventually a stylus (wacom, samsung tablets) than a mouse/keyboard, but it’s my opinion.

i had a discussion with a friend, if mobile devices could produce information like computers do, in fact yes they can, even some are not optimized for; smartphones more than tablets.

I never thought these apps exist.

These will be very useful!

I can now model plants, rocks and other small objects for use in my scenes while in the bus!

I think what needs to be known here is that the very paradigm of input for the mobile is going to make it a bit tougher for them to create a truly full-fledged 3D app. like Blender.

The screens are not as big, your fingers are bigger than a mouse cursor, and the processing power isn’t yet quite as high as in a PC.

The best that Blender could do here for now (at least until keyboards become standard), is to have a companion app. for mobile which has a small subset of features, but can still load .blend files (like the Krita team did with Krita Sketch).

When it comes to space issues though, did you know that the screens are getting even smaller with smartwatches, try fitting an interface on that thing (in which I wouldn’t be surprised if the watches end up being more an accessory than a primary entertainment tool).

I’m also not sure how well a phone would handle heat-dissipation if you actually started doing things (like 3D) that might generate heat. They’re really not designed for that, AFAIK. I could see you doing stuff that strictly involved OpenGL, because phones are designed for that and it really doesn’t generate heat from the CPU to do that . . .

It’s true I do not say otherwise, but the fact is that our mobile devices are not currently optimized for, does not mean that we can not, but a tablet will never replace a real computer it is sure.
What they have achieved with Krita gemini is great as a model for hybrid app, the guy who demonstrate gemini use a laptop with a rotating touch screen, for ex. the Surface pro 2 have 4>8Go of ram, the wacom cintiq companion have an i-7 and 8Gbddr3, and they can support stylus and keyboard, but yes, things like overheating, GUI, are actually the main issues.

ps:sorry for my english.