Simple and qucik terrain generation test

the terrain was generated with a subdivide fractal. The trees were generated with a particle effect. The textures were all generated. The grass was a simple hair particle. I used a few cones for the tree. The entire scene was made in about 25 minutes.

Nice use of multiple tools.
Try turning on AO for better lighting.

Okay, I’ll try it.

like the water. :). good for 25 minutes! but why not use something like sapling for the trees?

It’d take longer to render, but yea I’ll do that for my next test. I did do that for a lava world test.

how did you make the water? its very cool!

Look closely, he actually used one of the simplest possible methods (a separate plane with what appears to be a cloud texture).

The next step here would be to learn how to automatically map materials based on terrain slope.

I didn’t use any map based on terrain, I just used subdivide with fractal. If you know how then please let me know. :stuck_out_tongue:

how did you get the trees coming out vertical?

With rotation enabled, instead of velocity/hair as inital rotation, you need to have it set to object Y. For your particular project you may have to set it as another axis

thanks! anyway experimenting with volumes for leaves (modrons idea, but using cycles):

128 samples, 8h render time!
.blend: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/27956

So after seeing this thread I thought of giving fully procedural terrain a shot. All of it was rendered in Cycles and it tooks about 20 mins on a GTX580 at 60 samples. End result:

very cool microno, but waves are much smaller and tighter packed.
also there is a lot of noise around the sand meeting water area

but much better than mine though :slight_smile: