Game Model UV, advice would be appreciated!

So, I’m trying to make a model for a simple Android top-down scrolling shooter game I’m working on. My inexperience makes everything much more difficult, which is why I wanted to come by here.

I’m hoping to get some feedback on my UV layout - its just not very good (lots of project from view, because smart unwrap made everything into a mess).

Specific issues I’m stuck on:

• There’s one UV plane (selected in the pic) that I can’t find where it belongs to on the model.
  • I am using one level of subsurf on the model, but I’m not sure if I ultimately will want to or not. How does this affect my use of a UV texture?
  • Any good tutorials on actually painting/drawing a UV texture? I haven’t ran across any yet.

I’ve attached the .blend if anyone feels charitable enough to take a look at the actual file, but any advice would be appreciated! The model isn’t all that great either, so suggestions on that would be more than alright.

Thanks!

Attachments

Player_Ship.blend (545 KB)

Downloaded your file. I’ll reupload with some optimized UVs in a few.

Also, for future reference, there is a button at the bottom of the UV editor where you can sync selections between the editor and the viewport. Makes it handy to find out where certain UV islands are on the model.

Switch on Syncho view in UV editor menu

http://www.blendertutorial.net/index.php?p=weathered_hard_surface_texturing_blender
Why would you need bottom part textured if this will be for top-down only? Your’e wasting texture space.

Hey, you can find the face belonging to the uv if you check “Keep UV and edit mesh selection in sync” button. You can find it here:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/68711
I actually found hundrets on youtube…maybe this one will suit your needs since it’s about texture painting a vehicle

I like the old school style of the spaceship…Is it going to be some space invaders type of game?

EDIT: sorry guys, you were faster :smiley:

http://pasteall.org/blend/27785

Have a look. I split things up more or less the way you have the materials split up. I also removed creasing, since it’s unlikely that you want to be using a subsurface modifier for a game anyway, and even if you do want to smooth out the edges it would be best to do it with the bevel tool anyway.

Also, for future reference, there is a button at the bottom of the UV editor where you can sync selections between the editor and the viewport. Makes it handy to find out where certain UV islands are on the model.

Thanks for pointing out the button guys! I had no idea there a a different behavior for the UV editor was even possible. :o

Why would you need bottom part textured if this will be for top-down only? Your’e wasting texture space.

Those tutorials look awesome, thank you. It’s top down, but still 3D - the model will rotate side-to-side when you move horizontally, and when the player is destroyed it goes spinning off into the blackness of space. :evilgrin:

I like the old school style of the spaceship…Is it going to be some space invaders type of game?

Thanks for the link! Its essentially a super-simple combination of Tyrian and Asteroids. My first Android game, so I’m just trying to experiment.

Thanks again for your help. Its definitely better then it was…good point about bevel vs subsurf.