Maya 2015 LT Stole features from blender?

I was searching the news for maya LT 2015 and I came across the so called “new” feature walk. It does the same as Shift + F and the Autodesk team said that it works like an FPS game walking. Same controls (WASD) and stuff. So no one won’t be sueing them or anything?

suing autodesk? Ha! :smiley:

by that logic, blender has stolen the wasd-FPS-like walking from every first person shooter. also you couldnt “steal” features of an open source software.

blender didn’t invent the WSAD walk with mouselook…that’s been around forever, along with first-person shooter games. And it’s been present in Cryengine ever since I can remember. Also as blackdot points out, you can’t steal anything from opensource software.

I think we should stop trying to pick fights with Autodesk and just leave 'em be. Our energy is better spent developing features rather than accusing people of stealing them.

Yeah, but Blender made this first in 3d software and the viewport. Autodesk stated this as an innovation. And you can steal stuff from open source software. It’s like stealling from a crowd - strange but possible.

Here’s the video to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LuwqyeFOM#t=84
It’s at the end/midle.

no you cant steal something from open source. because it’s already open and free for everyone to take. you cant steal what the owner is already sharing with you. Like you cant pirate a public domain movie.

No they didn’t
ArchiCAD has an explore mode to use WASD keys

Given the market for Maya LT, the WASD controls would be something you’d expect to be able to use.

This is one of those usual threads when a new version of X, Y or Z application is launched with new features. Though you sometimes see some blender scripts appearing soon afterwards directly copying some of those new features. I don’t hear these same people complaining about that.

software patents however are another story

A different story entirely altogether.

Been there.

Done that.

Has been done before.

Will be done again.

For what it’s worth, this is inaccurate. Technically you can’t steal software at all, but let’s use the conventional definition and assume that copyright violations constitute theft. Just because something is open source, doesn’t mean it’s without copyright. In fact, if the software (like Blender) is licensed under the GPL and you can prove that another software package uses specific code from the program’s source, then that certainly is a copyright violation (ergo, stealing).

However, having different code that does the same thing is a bit more gray, but probably isn’t theft (or at least, it’s easier to weasel one’s way out of it).

Of course, a lawyer could tell you more clearly, but that’s the gist of it.

Technically, if Autodesk did copy some of Blender’s source code into Maya, then the entire Maya application would become infected with the GPL and force them to release their source code. The GPL has that provision in part to protect the work of developers who may not want their code to be copied into commercial applications (also ensuring that Blender does not become merely a laboratory that the competition can simply take from and eliminate any reason to use it).

I don’t think Autodesk’s legal team is dumb enough to not know this, they’re more than capable of producing their own code.

For sure Autodesk would have considered the legal implications from input from the legal department.

Well it’s not just about the law, it’s more that Blender has the features that Maya adds in the future releases! Yeay! :smiley:

Yeah, but Blender made this first in 3d software and the viewport.

trueSpace 7 line had this too, long before Blender.

wow truespace is a blast from the past! was nice software but all them menus drove me nuts

That makes sense I guess :).

Hey, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest that other engineers, being of course fully aware of what Blender’s teams are doing, would incorporate some of those same ideas into their own new work. It isn’t stealing.

Just hang on a sec, because the next thing they’re gonna do is to come up with something else, this time that (for a time) trumps what Blender’s doing with that same idea. And thusly do the frogs continue down the stream: hopping over one another.

I agree, stealling is just not the thing I mean, it’s more like Blender has something more to offer at least at some parts.

3ds max had this long ago as well. Features from other software get implemented all the time in different companies software. It’s like saying fume fx ripped off the use of voxel grids from maya for creating fire/smoke effects. Non issue.