How do I...? (coming from Softimage)

Hi,
since Autodesk is shutting down Softimage, many users are looking for a new home. For most of them (me included) it seems there is no adequate replacement for it. But since we are forced to move away at some point, we are evaluating many options and there are transition guides for Houdini and Modo. It’s basically about: “I’m used to do xy in Softimage, how do I do it in <newApp>”.
Here is a really awesome guide for SI-users who want to look at Houdini:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y0ti6tyf7o3435u/thsQH1Kf2o
So, here I try to do the same basically (but definitely on a smaller scale). I will post some questions and stuff that I’’ find out, and maybe I’ll get an answer or two or some tips and tricks from other Softimage users.

Also here is a pretty interesting thread about the most favourised features in Softimage, maybe someone wants to comment on some of those as well: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/xsi_list/7vicDaOF4Jg[1-25-false]

I will keep this original post updated with questions and answers, so it will be all in one place. I’ll start with one or two questions, since I’m only on lunchbreak right now:

1: How do I edit properties for multiple objects simultaneously?
Example1: I want to set the Display-property for the selected objects to ‘Wire’ (atm only the active one changes)
Example2: A lot of different objects with array modifiers. Rise all counts by 3. - Use a script?
In Softimage you select all objects, go to the parameter (selected object is indicated as ‘multiple’) and type ‘3+’

Answer: Scripting seems the only solution so far. You can easily transfer attributes, which is nice, but it's not quite the same

Some similarities while I’m working myself through the feature set:
SI - Blender
Isolate Selection - “View Global/Local” Numpad / (There is also ctrl+B which isolates a region in the viewport…really nice)

Passes and Partitions - Different than in SI, but you can get pretty far with Scenes/Layers/Renderlayers, although it seems you can only override materials and not all sorts of parameters (at least not obvious in the UI)

Referenced Models - You can link complete Scenes, or just parts from other scenes (seems to be really nice)

AnimationMixer - NLA Editor

more to come, stay tuned

Thomas

Select multiple objects, the last selected is the active.
You can transfer a lot of things to the other objects at once.
CTRL+L
Properties like wireframe view, no I don’t see how and I wonder why to do this. There are other ways to show rendered wireframes.
More important as object data, materials, modifiers, yes you can.
ctrl+L and see what data you can link.

Question:
How to sculpt in softimage? I mean serious sculpting.

The Z-KEY acts as a toggle so you can see the entire viewport in wireframe mode. Press it once to see through all objects in the scene, then again to return to your solid/viewport mode. I realize you want to operate upon a selection set instead of all objects.

The Active Object is an important concept in Blender. Basically you can have a selection but you can also have an Active Object. The Active Object will be the object that receives the operation you choose to perform, not the selection set. There may be some scripts to help facilitate batch operations on selection sets. So if you don’t get the answer you were hoping for there may still be other options available with a little research.

Copy attributes addon
> Copy Draw Options

…“Draw all edges” option doesnt work, addon not updated to 2.69 2.70.

Thanks for the answers. The Display-wire is only an example of course. What I’m after is “batch operations on selection sets” as atom stated correctly.
Another example: A lot of different objects with array modifiers. Rise all counts by 3. - Use a script?
In Softimage you select all objects, go to the parameter (selected object is indicated as ‘multiple’) and type ‘3+’

The Ctrl+L stuff is pretty nice, but something different.

@michalis: you can’t sculpt in SI. I use Blender for that

I’ll update the initial post.

Thanks for this thread, I will be following it. I too come from Softimage and am looking for other options, though slowly as I am in mid-production.

I am not drawn to Autodesk right now - and I see potential in Blender. If there was a way to throw money to the monitor to help Blender develop, I would. How do you support developers and/or new and improved features?

2: Character Animation…

How does one create layered animation or corrective shape animations to an armature rig?

Is blender adequate for character animation? How is playback/rig setup/animation in a practical production workflow? (your personal review?)

Is shape animation dynamic and modifiable after animation? How flexible are armature modification and shape modification in mid-animation?

Using expressions, or linking constraints; can this be done in a node based system? (Addon?)

How do you symmetrize blend shapes?

I know I can find tutorials for this - this is really to just promote discussion, and I would love to be more involved in the community. The ideals, the motives and the yes, powerful software that is Blender is certainly something refreshing. I am looking forward to the final result for the Gooseberry project and pushing the software to be more FX and Animation capable.

How does one create layered animation or corrective shape animations to an armature rig?

There is a NLA window type for that. Basically once you have one layer of animation locked-in you freeze that layer (perhaps legs walking) and it becomes an NLA strip which can be looped, time stretched and or cross faded between other NLA strips. Then you make another layer and continue the process (with another bone set).

Initial post updated. Definitely take a look at the SI to Houdini guide, it’s awesome! Apart from questions I’ll start to list some stuff that I’ll find out on my own (by actually RTFM :slight_smile: ) …stay tuned.

P.S.: As great as it all seems to be…can I go without ICE???

Regarding ICE, you may want to check out a project by a user named AnvilSoup here on the forums. He’s seeking to nodify everything in Blender using an extendable framework, and it looks to have a lot of promise.

I have been a long time SI user, as well as a long time Blender user, so I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread and answer transition questions as they pop up.

I was just wondering if there is something like Softimages workgroups for Blender. E.g. a folder on the network where you can install plugins, settings, whatever, and everyone who is connected to this folder has these available.