Fire Animation

Hi All,

I recently followed the CGCookie Fire tutorial (http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/02/19/fire-simulation-rendering-blender/) and decided I would post my results for your feedback (please be as nasty and merciless as possible)

By the way, this fire is supposed to be a petrol/gasoline fire.

Here it is:

Areas I know need improving:

• Some strange animations at the bottom of the fire
  • Too much blue flame

Areas I’m not too sure on:

• Turbulence
  • Lighting of the smoke

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

-Alex

Hey Alex, the burning speed seems really high, you might want to lower that so the flames look less ‘stressed out’ :stuck_out_tongue: or try to lower the overall simulation speed.

About the amount of blue, you’re right, use less blue. It’s a cool effect but petrol doesn’t burn that blue. Also try using the node compositor to do some color correction. It can make a great difference on the look of your fire. Play around with the contrast and saturation.

About the smoke, you can just use less smoke to make it less present. Or make it a bit darker.

It looks like you animated the turbulence field, maybe it works better if you decrease the size of the field or animate it a bit faster. Now it moves really slow.

And finally if you want to make the fire ‘stick’ to the ground some more, you can add a plane and make it an obstacle. That usually works quite well.

Great job and thanks for watching the tutorial, I hope you enjoyed it!

Hi Richard! You’re just the man I need for something like this :slight_smile:

The presence of the smoke wasn’t really the issue, although now that you mention it there is a bit too much. I was thinking the orange light faded out too quickly into grey. I’ll give everything you said a go and hopefully post up a new result by the weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers,
-Alex

Here’s the late update! Sorry for the delay, got a bit caught up in another project and it took much longer than expected to get this new version out. What do you think?

I still think there’s too much blue and there’s a strange strobe effect caused by the glowing effects I put on the fire in the compositor that I’ll try and remove but other than that I’m quite happy with it. The plane beneath the fire worked very well (as did everything else), thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

-Alex

Yep, much better Alex!

Still a lot of blue, it looks interesting but maybe not very realistic, it’s not that hard to get rid of it right?

Other than that, awesome :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ll get round to fixing it but it takes a lot of time to bake and render :S