Auto-merge/Vertex Snap isn't working. Any advice?

I’m watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-GUvYRHcU#t=51m00s about making a human in Blender. Fastforward to 51:00. This is where my problem is. I have Automerge checked in the Mesh menu, the magnet is activated and I have the snap element set to vertex. I do what he says, by clicking on a vertex and hovering over the vertex directly across from it. I get the circle but when I left click, it doesn’t merge together. I do everything he says and yet I get a different and frustrating result. Can you tell me how to get around this?

w- bridge selected loops and Delete - Dissolve Edge loop which is extra would have been faster imho.
You can leave Magnet off and click Ctrl when start to grab. It is not enough just to click on vertex - you have to move it towards another.

I’m using the same tutorial having the same problem. I can think of a number of different ways to actually accomplish this task, but half the point of this tutorial was to get familiar with different options and tools. I’m using 2.69.

To clarify, dragging a vertex over to another with auto-merge on you eventually see the little circle over the vertex you’re dragging towards, then left clicking does nothing but drop your dragged vertex right to the spot it stopped moving when the auto-merge circle appeared over the vertex you were trying to merge to.

Help please, I’m stubborn and I want to do it this way. :smiley:

I am joining the chorus here : I find that automerge will sometimes send my vertex to a strange spot, on another vertex than the one i intended to use for example.
It seems to me that it has to do with some limit / radius of effect.
Do you know where one can set up the radius/influence ?

As far as useability of snapping, while it works here it sometimes can be fiddly. Probably it depends on scene scale and what not.
Hiding not used mesh parts in background might help.
You can find Hotspot size on User Prefs, Interface tab, Manipulator. This is distance how far mouse click ‘grabs’ things afik but i’ve never had a need to adjust that.

@dransiksapoc: if you had not changed blender’s mouse Right/Left click functionality in UserPrefs:
Press mouse button, drag selected vertex until you see orange circle jump on to vertex you move to; release mouse button and vertex you did move will snap and merge there - automerge=no doubles left after snap.

So i do not quite understand this

“then left clicking does nothing but drop your dragged vertex right to the spot it stopped moving when the auto-merge circle appeared over the vertex you were trying to merge to”
left clicking there. There is no need for any additional clicks: grab, hold mouse, release mouse button.

Hi, if you go to the Tool Shelf and then click on the “Create” tab you’ll find the option “Double Threshold”. You might need to pull this up to a higher value and it will work. (I needed to put it almost to the maximum of 0.1 for this tutorial)