Four Seasons

Made this image to challenge myself in areas of Blender I don’t work well with: simulation, motion blur, IvyGen tool, texture (stencil) painting, and sub-surface modelling. All the geometry is real and animation ready. See higher res here. Comments, crits, hates all appreciated! :stuck_out_tongue:

very nice! i’d be curious to know how you did the materials for the Winter portion

I like this picture. Very well done and a unique idea.

Very cool idea. All you need now is for Vivaldi to play in the background when anyone opens your image :wink:

@Wolfred: I took 5 different ice textures from cgtextures, formatted them, used them as brushes, and painted it onto the mesh. The node layout is a glossy and glass shader mix, with LW>Facing as the factor input. Can’t remember exactly how I did the displacement.
@Ryeath thanks :slight_smile:
@BlenderMatt Thanks! Maybe I’ll try to do that on my website portfolio, but as far as I know everyone hates websites that play music. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would say this render is “cool” but that’s only a fourth of it. :wink: Puns aside, I really like this concept! How long did this take you to make?

nice image,poetic tribute to vivaldi.

Awesome result man, verry inspiring

Looks good. But the leaves are way too small.

Yeees, it is great illustration!

That’s just great…

Nice concept but i would make some changes and make seasons more distinctive

I like the use of colours in this version, a bit more to my taste. I would say that I don’t exactly recognise the foliage in the spring section as specifically a spring time plant - but that is probably just because I know little about that :wink: My first instinct would have been to have the spring background be grass mostly covered with blossom leaves and with quite a few scattered on the violin too.

I must admit i prefer Hansens original much more. i do not see the need to signpost any more than he has done beutifully. the sparse and subtle implications are all that is needed.

regards

This is amazing.

I’m surprised that you took the time to make a mock-up of what you envisioned! I do think that your concept for the brightened top section is good, and the morning glories on the bottom section really do look nice. However, I was dealing with a restricted color palette and a strict deadline. If not, I would definitely have made some changes. :slight_smile: Thank you!

Looks amazing! Why isn’t this in the feature row?

@RobertBanks if you think it should be featured, tell a mod! :slight_smile: Otherwise, they won’t know because they’re not very active on weekends.

@Rusted, @Ride @Jonathan @Antoni @Nikotron Thanks :slight_smile:
@Aras I appreciate the critique; I should probably have explained that. Since it’s somewhat abstract and impossible, I took liberties with the scale. Notice that the violin is to scale locally, but the frost, leaves, ivy, and grass are all to scale with each other; which was intentional. I did an initial scene which was on an even global scale, but it looked terrible. Too many large and detailed objects distracts the viewer. Does that answer?

Thanks to CG Cookie for featuring this on Twitter :slight_smile: