Self Shadowing Normal Maps

Hello everyone! , here’s a technique that I just recently discovered and I had no idea of its existence :slight_smile:

Originally named as ssBumps , and created by Valve, but this technique does not use the basis of the original implementation , but is used in tangent space , and consists of a generator in which you input a normal map ( Tangent Space ) and a height map and returns you a new normal map that gives the effect of self shadowning.

For more information the original thread can be found here. All I did was to compile the program for windows . Here I give you a simple guide on how to use it.

1. Unzip the file in root C:\ (for simplicity)
  2. Open a new command prompt, go to run and type cmd
  3. Change directory to ssNormal
  4. Type “convert.exe normal.tga height.tga 30 60 10” (without quotes)

In the zip there are two images as an example, images must be in “.tga” format and uncompressed, I also included a sample blend.

I hope you like it .

ssNormal.zip (421 KB)

2 Likes

Wow, this is amazing.

Wow, that really does look awesome. Thanks for sharing, I am going to test it extensively. The link doesn’t work for me though.

Reuploaded file, it should work now.

aryok soon you won’t be troll for me.I was very egocentric and apodictic on skype.You know very well Nintendo might kill my EarthBound 64 HD if I copy assets likewise Erik Ross’s Super Mario 64 HD fan recreation game.I could get ban here from copywright infridgements if i could use n64 games assets.

This might open the possibility of an AO type node group you can add to certain textures

thanks to aryoskini i discoreved.I’m afraid my rival will have problems with Super Mario 64 Fan Remake from Nintendo lawsuit site.

Aryoksini,Peter Valencia and Joshua Corvinus please help me with EarthBound 64 NX BGE?

aryok pini bge is your speciality.

i’ll show you aryok pini that you can trust even on skype