Verve - new painting freeware

It may be interesting for painters to check out Verve, a new freeware that imitates oil painting by using fluid simulation on the canvas.

It only runs on windows and requires a decent GPU but it is very artistic and from a brief test I found it very pleasant to use too. There are a few bugs and omissions (such as multi step undo) still but Taron, the developer is working to get those ironed out. Have fun :slight_smile:

windows 8.1 smart screen complains about ā€œunknown publisherā€ risk

Virus total scan, Detection ratio: 0 / 50
guess its safe to run.

Wow, not only Taron is an amazing artist but his coding skills are really impressive.

pretty neat but my video card is ancient and only works fine with the low res,
f2 to larger ones and it lags bad.

ok cool.

looks good, but kinda wish it was watercolor instead.

Iā€™d like to see that color widget for Blenderā€™s paint tools, it would fit well with the UI since itā€™s just adding a ring around the existing wheel (be a much quicker and visual way to set the brightness and opacity).

All this project is missing right now is a next generation robotic painting printer that would translate the image on the screen into a real painting complete with the subtleties in height and glossiness (and before you ask, I actually did see an article where someone developed a printer that uses real paint strokes).

This really does seem like the future of virtual painting, as such I wouldnā€™t be surprised if he eventually charges for a license (which unless the license says GPL, Apache 2, or MIT, then it may only be free in the alpha stage). Iā€™m just putting this out there to help others avoid emotional recoils later on.

Looks like a cool tool. I find it interesting though that initially he paints with the oil effect, but then smudges it out and in the end it looks like a standard digital painting. I wonder how it would go at producing a typical thick oil painting look over an entire image.

as sanctuary said taron is a great artist and a really good programmer Psy-Fi check those two small and powerful paint app can serve as inspiration some nice feature.
http://blackink.bleank.com/
http://speedypainter.altervista.org/

very impressive! Too bad it will end up being like sculptris - freeware and only on windows for ever.

Bad example, Sculptris is also available on OSX

it would be great to be able to use it out of the box as a fluid based normalmap tool.
but as a quick heightmap painter it solves its purpose :smiley:

nice lol I was thinking it would do good bump maps
but it does make my gpu scream like a cat with its tail on fire

Amazing, isnā€™t it?

Bad example, Sculptris is also available on OSX

LOL
In my country they use to say ā€œdonā€™t ask for a rope in the hanged manā€™s homeā€
I mean, letā€™s forget about sculptris. Pixologic did it.

I donā€™t get the point of all these natural painting simulators. If I want to paint an oil painting, Iā€™ll just break out the canvas and the paints.

A large canvas and a good set of oil paints can be very expensive (hence one of the reasons why people charge high prices for them), this would allow one to at least emulate an oil painting without having to make sure you have an adequate enough supply of the different colors you would need for a specific piece. It also means you donā€™t have to try to find a space in your house to carve out an art studio in, which is good news for those living in smaller quarters.

Plus I have read before of someone who actually managed to create photorealistic images (as if they were rendered), using oil paints due to their properties, so one with enough skill can make an image with this app. that will keep people guessing on whether itā€™s a 3D render, a photo, or none of those.

Ace,
Piotr has a point here.

I could take it further.
A nice block of paper,
A few watercolors, gouache colors, some good brushes.
A simple cheap scanner.
Is all you need.

However, a gravity based painting on a 3d modelā€¦
What about this?
Blood, fluid red color on a zombie head or a monsterā€¦
WOW
he he

And why in the world do you sculpt models in Blender and Zbrush (with a clay shader applied) when you can just use real clay?
Why use Cycles or Luxrender to render a photorealistic image when you can use a camera , some LEDā€™s, and some props?

That kind of reasoning can easily apply to things youā€™re doing as well, but you choose to do it in digital 3D software instead.

I agree with Piotr Adamowicz,if you really want to paint with oils,use the real ones.
A digital medium is really different,and the workflow canā€™t be the same.

Iā€™d love to use real clay but I canā€™t afford a scanner that will give me comparable resolution/quality.

That is however beside the point. Iā€™m not arguing traditional media are superior, just that I see no reason for digital media to try to emulate them.

Well if you want to go ahead and write a comment on his YouTube page requesting that he delete this horrible blasphemy against the fine arts then you have the right to do that.

Heck, you might then call for the deletion of the code for MyPaint and Krita as well, because any ā€˜digital paint on a screenā€™ would then be seen as a crime against the fine arts and art communities that took hundreds of years to develop new styles and paints.

What Iā€™m saying is that if we banded together to oppose any new technology that might put a dent in more traditional hobbies, then we may not even have digital 3D or 2D paint programs and Photo editors (who knows if weā€™d even have much use for a computer). I do agree that there would be the clear weakness in that the subtleties in glossiness and height would be missing from digital work (along with that ā€˜feelā€™ when you touch the canvas), but it might be only a matter of time before we have printers that make use of real paint to recreate a digital work using real brush strokes.