Michalis made me do it.

He had help, the webastards at ZBC made the site nearly unusable.
So…
Here I am.
Hya everyone!

HI MICHALIS!!!

I am an avid Sculptris and ZBrush user who has been grappling with Blender since it was first released into opensource. This does not mean that I am any good at Blender, quite the opposite, I suck. I am not an artist, I just like messing with stuff and making things, 3D software is perfect for this as I haven’t got a lot of space to store a heaps of crap like the stuff I draw.
I also haven’t got a lot of Blender stuff to display at the moment but that could change over time, what I am most interested in doing is making what I find hard, easy, and what I find hidious, fun. Basicly I will try to document anything I am capable of doing in a way that the documentation does not, in other words it should be readable to humans.

So…
Theres that.
Heres a picture:

Its hard as hell to upload pictures here!

I made this in Blender and rendered it in ZBrush:

Same thing with this one.

Cloth made in Blender on a ZBrush sculpt (rigged and posed in Blender) then painted and rendered in ZBrush:

I like the cloth simulation stuff a lot and with ZBrush I can make it have actual threads…

I just realized that I have nothing at all that I have rendered in Blender besides that first image. I do have a vast pile of crap in the form of .blend files and some screenshots since I forget how to export images all the time, its some silly FKey I think.
Save Image As in the File Menu springs to mind for some odd reason…
but no.

This is a thing I made in Blender that is in segments that are designed to link together to form tunnels or what ever, the main thing is that it worked. After making the basic object I dragged it off into ZBrush, painted it, and then exported it into Opensimulator so I could see what building stuff with it was like, it worked great! In five minutes I could run down this hallway and jump out the end into the ocean.
The lighting took about thirty seconds to figure out, design and implement.

This is what you see in realtime:

Welcome to the club!
Beautiful and interesting art, as always expected from you.
It’s a little funny to use blender for modeling and zbrush for rendering.
I did it a few times in the past, Why not?
Seriously, you have to learn cycles, first of all.
ZB BPR isn’t your best option.

hehe, michalis did :slight_smile: welcome mealea… saving images is either press F3- key, or after rendering you see the image and

Doris, thank you!
Its very funny but I do the simplest thing when I fire up Blender, I type A hit Delete and then hit Enter to get rid of all the crap I don’t want, this got rid of the camera which is where ff12 renders come from which is also where that menu you just showed me is… I also sometimes use a few .blend files that I have already done this in so its even quicker… That answers that problem I suppose.
Also I looked at your website, you do some amazing things!!!

Michalis, its not THAT odd is it? I do this with Sculptris as well, and the way I look at it is its simply quicker. I know there are MatCaps in Blender but they don’t seem to work all that well especially for multiple objects so I never know what things are going to look like and honestly I haven’t got the patience for rendering in Blender, something that takes seconds in ZBrush takes forever in Blender, its quicker to just export it and render it. Rendering something from Blender in ZBrush is the same as using OpenSimulator to make stills of it right?
I tried your Cycles render thingy, I can’t make it attach to anything else and it looks like it was hit by a sandblaster like everything I do with Cycles, this makes me worry about the first thing I posted in here, its awfully clean and I dont know how to do that, it’s vaguely possible I rendered it in something else…

I thought I had more stuff but I cant find it, but I will keep digging and if I have some time I will make some new stuff soon…

Cheers!
Mealea

Welcome MealeaYing,

Michalis and doris are both huge inspirations to everyone around here. I like your first picture, very well done. Looking forward to seeing more.

yes, i do not like the default start scene in blender either, so i also had delete all, but i did this only once, and then saved that “empty” scene (i kept the camera with the settings i like) as the new start file (under file menu). next time i started blender, it opens “my” default scene … yes, sandblaster, i know, you need to increase the number of samples. sandblaster means, cycles has not calculated enough. increase samples and let the render cook longer… zbrush renders quick, yes, but not accurate…cycles renders light and shadow (almost) realistically, so once you learned how to tell cycles what you want, you can get the exact result you wished for… be patient with that, it is worth…

Good Morning Ryeath and Doris!

Ryeath, I’m glad you like that and thanks! I know these two, I have been lurking here for quite a while, and I know Michalis from the temple of Lyssa in the center of Santorini, he made the mistake of wandering in before had my coffee in the morning. I have been driving him nuts ever since.

Doris:
I do that too, I have a few files for things like working with symmetry where I start off with a pre-made object that’s already had half of it deleted and the mirror modifier added, its a lot quicker than starting from scratch all the time.
I know about samples, but its still too slow and grainy. If something takes an hour or more to render and it still looks wrong I do something else. Im trying to draw stuff, I don’t want to program things and thats all this cycles stuff seems to be, a thinly fictionalized programing process using a flowchart (one that doesn’t fit on my monitor well) to describe the program that controls the sandblaster (hehehe!).
Anyway, I am learning it but its slow and I do not enjoy it, its tedious to say the least. Nor do I have any results after vast amounts of time.
Michalis can make great looking rocks, I can make bad looking sand, but at least I use bright colors!
GRIN!

I found another thing I used Blender in:

And another:

Michalis made a node setup that Im screwing with, Blender hates this, its got a lot of polygons:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]295335[/ATTACH]

Attachments

This was a double post, I don’t know how it happened but I can’t get rid of it.

oops… how the hell did that happen?

I cant see the matcap thing you posted, its too small and the jpg-ing made it all mushy.
But thanks!
I will keep looking at it, maybe run it through an image editor and crank the contrast and size.

Anyhow…
I have been having a lot of trouble uploading here, its become rather close to impossible and when it doesn’t fail outright and give me an error message its slower than a 9600 baud modem. Part of this was a problem with .PNG files which I solved by using .JPG instead.

Heres the latest attempts. Mostly playing with Cycles and stuff… oh, and hair which I have no understanding of.

Same objects minus the hair in Opensimulator:

This totally crushed Blender (its also complete crap, I should have used more finished objects, the person now has fingers and toes and is almost done being rigged). I had to use CPU rendering because the GPU couldn’t cope for whatever reason, memory I think.
As much as cycles confuses me I am becoming fond of the sandblasted effect:

On more in a moment, this site only lets you post three images at once… thank someone elses god for helpful limits.

@#$%ing limits!!!

I made a repeating object and imported it into OpenSimulator and made it into a hallway of sorts:

A Blender cloth simulation rendered in OpenSimulator:

Good thing I havent got more, I could smash into that silly limit again!

Its a Blender bidet:

I almost got rid of the sandblasting on this one… but not quite…
Soon…
VERY SOON!!!

hey mealea, wild fantasy…lol…love it… you seem now be able to tame cycles, well done! now you can really start enjoying the renderer…

Thanks Doris!
Its not tame yet, in fact its trying to latch onto my face or something with all of its claws and way too many teeth…
But I am starting to come up with some things that amuse me, Michalis showed me the Fresnel thingy and that led to adding one thing after another to see what they do and that helped a LOT.
Next I need to figure out caustics and that volumetric stuff and then its on to just about everything else… oy…

Here’s another, I think I need to screw with the UV’s, something is a little off. Possibly they got mapped overlapping or something but I dont know. Actually I don’t care, the colors are a lot of fun.

Love them!
Welcome to the cycles club.
Volumetrics and other wild stuff ?
Well, just today, new commitments from Brecht (cycles dev).
So, be prepared, to start downloading a fresh blender every few days… lol.
(http://builder.blender.org/download/)