Broken City Scene

Hi,

I am working on a ruined city, post war scene, set slightly in the future. Much is overgrown, and there reminders of battlescars in places.

Inspired by the artwork of John Sweeney.

Also, credit to Hulis, whose exosuit model I have borrowed from BlendSwap.

Edit: Updated to latest render

wow, lots of detail. I’m digging the ivy.

I plan to do a fair bit of the detail with the texturing (especially the buildings in the background).

Looks good! it might be a bit too detailed. unless you have a great computer. If it is slowing down I would bake some the stone parts down.

Cheers! My computer is coping for the time being… using layers, backface culling etc to keep it happy :slight_smile:

Good! Mine would die with a scene like this.

A few more tweaks, and I’m pretty much happy with the modelling:

Now on to some texturing!

Started with the buildings:

Looking great! Seems a bit light for an apocalyptic scene, but I guess that can be fixed in post. I hope you plan on texturing the shattered bits of the columns differently from the columns themselves! Because that would look completely sick and amazing. I see you got rid of the mech in the last shot.

I’ve just got a straight forward environment light for now - tweaking the lighting will come later, and I plan to make it more night time/gloomy in the compositor.

Good shout on the column texturing - I hadn’t thought yet how I would approach it, but you’ve given me some thoughts now!

And I just haven’t bothered rendering the mech or ivy when it’s not necessary to save on render time.

Slowly progressing…

Good work, man! Remembered me a Half Life scene. The vegetation is great!

The artwork I based this off is concept art for a video game, so I’m glad that that feeling is translating into my work.

I’m looking forward to playing around with 2.70 volumetrics to give it some real atmosphere (I would especially like to get the some atmospherics in the street lights).

Wow looking great!

Been on holiday for the past week, so slow progress, but here is how it’s currently looking…

I know it’s currently too dark, but I haven’t really played with the lighting yet. I will need to work out how to create a gloomy feeling, while still getting effective lighting.

Also need to summon the courage to tackle all the ivy - I know it takes quite a long time to render… Next steps will be the trees in the mid-ground, and the robot.

Finally found time to push ahead with this!

Done all of the texturing now, just need to find what needs to be done to make it a more polished piece…

All thoughts welcome!

Tom

My first thought is: “Wow, I’m impressed!” :yes: Looks nice and crisp. The contrast between the symmetric buildings and the organic plants is something I like anyway! We have a lot of industrial ruins where I live and i really dig the mood of left civilisation being re-conquered by nature. You have caught that mood very very well! I have two little suggestions though:
In my personal opinion, the pink flower’s light is a little bit too much reflected off the concrete pillar on the right. I personally would dim that off a bit.
Second thought is rather content-related: Why do all the streetlights still shine? (while the bombed out houses don’t have any light left on) I guess power houses do not work very long without human maintenance :). Or if the street lights were still on, I would expect some of the basic lights in the hoses to be, too. (like the lights in the hallways for example). But I’m just nitpicking, very well done overall!

Thanks very much - glad you like it!

Fair comment about the pink glow… believe it or not, my first renders had it much more overblown and I pulled it back, but I will tone it down some more.

As for the lights, my thoughts were that there was still some level of infrastructure left (or perhaps returning…), hence the streetlights, but the buildings had been abandoned. Maybe a couple of lit windows will add an interesting feature… I shall have a go!

Updated with less purple glow, and lit windows in the buildings:

Thoughts?

The Pinkish Purplish flower is ind of out of place. Also I think the lighting could use a little work. But otherwise looks great!