Low Poly "Pop Up" Scene Done in Cycles *2.0*

I updated this thread quite a bit so, the first page or so is outdated. The image in this post is up to date along with the next post below this.

My inspiration was to do something using 2D (well, almost 2D) planes, to make a 3D image. Sort of like a pop up book :slight_smile:

This originally took about an hour and a half but I decided to improve on it and it took way to long. About 2 weeks to be exact. Of course I wasn’t working on it every day for those 2 weeks, I probably only put about 3 more hours of actual labor into it. The fact still remains this took TOO long.

I really like the way it came and, hopefully you do to. Originally this had only 3088 verts but, as I worked on it the end result got up somewhere around 13000 which is a lot higher than I’d like for a low poly image but, it’s still low poly and it looks better than before so it was worth it.

Done in Cycles, 1000 samples.

Feel free to use it as your computer’s wallpaper. I set the camera to my screen’s resolution 1280x800.

Here’s a top view to show the “2D” planes, the displace modifiers made them a tad 3D.

Also here is the original that took an hour and a half to model.

Wow!!! You could, easily I think, animate that into a storybook animation sequence. Awesome!!!

Haha, yeah, thanks!!! I could set the origin of something to the center of the grid and have things rotate into view.

I’m loving these low poly scenes I’ve seen on here, and this is up there in my favorites. :slight_smile: I love the vivid colors. And the clouds too!

A bit of a late reply on my part… Thanks a ton!

Yeah, really nice cut-out feel, nice colors too. :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch!!! My goal was to have the bridge in a way, lead the viewers eyes onto the tower with the bright red focal point.

the clouds are awesome! i love the displacements. very cool :):):)! but how about make a fence at the door?

I could totally do that!!! I’m in a CGI craze today so I’ll go all out haha! Should I do some stuff to the image and repost it to finished projects? Also should I give the trees some displacement?

the tree displacement sounds good! but i think if you end up displacing the trees you should just displace everything, including the castle :slight_smile:

Everything is displaced. What I meant by displaced is the rough texture everything has, that’s just terrible topography that I displaced.

terrible topology displaced looks good, especially on the grass and bridge. but you dont really notice it on the castle so much. but i think the scene is already fine though :smiley:

Awesome, I did a ton of work to this and it looks a lot better in my opinion but, the render is making all the edges look sort of pixelated and weird, I’m not sure why, I thought it was low samples so I rendered it at 5000 samples which was way overkill and it still didn’t fix the issue.

can you maybe post the render? :>

Sure! Here ya go! Had to render it again and it seems to have fixed itself.

now that is defineitely finished and uber-cool now :D. wierd (but good!) that it fixed itself :slight_smile:

Haha thanks. I guess I’ll replace the image, edit the title, and bump the thread to start a “new” finished projects. No use in having more than 1.