Octane Free Student Version

Hi, Otoy announce Octane render engine and plugins for Blender, Maya and 3dsmax for free to studends.
You need to login with a .edu or .edu.au mail address atm. but they extend it to other mail address next time.

Cheers, mib.

well that’s damn nice of them :slight_smile:

Finally got it up and running the other day… Man, what a pain in the butt. Two separate programs AND a special version of Blender (currently) locked at 2.68. And as far as I could tell lots of features simply didn’t work. I’d stick with the Octane standalone, personally.

Great. I have half a year until I am done. Time enough to test it I guess :slight_smile:

Hi m9105826, which version of Server/Blender you can download as student.
Regular user get 1.33 and Blender 2.69 for Windows.
Linux development is stopped until Beta is finished.
Only a few Linux/Blender user has buy the software.
For info, you have to setup all materials from scratch.

Cheers, mib.

On windows I got 2.68. Not sure about the server version.

Materials are all kinds of messed up. I couldn’t get a single lamp/emissive surface to work despite following the instructions in the BlenderOctane user manual. The same scene worked just fine in the standalone, however.

The render is starting?

You can make materials on the same way like cycles just pick octane shaders. The two part bundle is because of the gpl licence

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Render starts just fine, world/background emission works, just can’t get a single emissive surface or lamp to render.

I know the multi-app bundle is to get around the GPL. What I’m saying is that it’s far from an elegant solution, and offers nothing better than the other commercial renderers that don’t need a special pre-compiled version of Blender for their addon to work. Looking mainly at Thea and V-Ray.

Hm, no other render engine is full integrated in Blender, the addons for other engines are exporters more or less.

The RGB node is only for colored light, is not needed for mesh emitter only.

Cheers, mib.

EDIT: http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Blender/