Critique on Portfolio character

I want some critique on this guy before I get too much farther into it.

Thanks

Attachments

Modeling looks good, did you do it all from scratch or makehuman? I don’t see any flaws, so it could pass as makehuman :smiley:
What is that thing on the right arm? Is this some kind of cowboys vs aliens character? I also noticed those massive steel kneepads each the size of his hand, which would provide a lot more protection from bullets than the cloth shirt. Makes me curious, what is this character modeled for?

The model is not makehuman, the face and body were all sculpted out by me for a game project I am working on and also as a portfolio piece. The thing on the arm is just a placeholder and will be replaced by an Iron Man like gauntlet. The character is meant for a post-apocalyptic game in the fairly near future (~50 ys). He doesn’t have to be worried about bullets, but giant mutants? that’s what will get you.

Like the overall mesh, and the sculpted clothing. Coveralls look great.
Really like the face and arms.
Skin map on face is great. Very good coloring and texture wrinkles.
How many polys for the body parts? And as well how many polys for the coveralls and equipment?

Very good

Thanks!

Right now, the only part of this guy that is retopoe’d is the head which is currently sitting at 1779 tri’s excluding the hair. For the body I am giving myself a 16-20k tri limit, but the sculpts currently are over 20 million polys.

The character is quite nice, however I think he has a little wierd area at elbow. Good luck!

Nice modeling!

yesm his arm look detached.

What do you mean by “detached”?

I have done some more work on the guy and I have textured the gun.

From the view it’s as if the sleeve and elbow feel odd. It could be that they’re elongated.

I tried fixing the hand and arm and sleeve proportions as best I could. I also worked some more on the cloth wrinkles. I am also looking for more crits on the gun as well as ideas for hand gauntlet thing as I am ot really satisfied with it.

Thanks

I think the problem at the ends of the sleeves is that so much cloth bunched up there would bulk out rather than taper in. Since it does taper in, it gives the impression that the elbow underneath the cloth is too tiny, since that cloth has to go somewhere.

The gun looks pretty good. The proportions seem odd, but I think that is foreshortening from the angle you are rendering it at. I haven’t ever seen a colt .45 with no serial number or makers mark on the receiver or slide, but I suppose they might have been manufactured that way somewhere in the world. The grip needs some knurling, though. Even if it’s a field expedient replacement for the original knurled grip, the owner would take some of his copious hurry up and wait time to carve knurling into the repair to give himself a solid grip on the piece when he fires it.

Oh my god! It’s Jane Cobb!
No matter where I go, it’s as if his eyes are following me…
(Nice model, man!)

HA! I just watched that episode!

I like the model. I also agree that the elbow issue seems to be the fact that the bunched cloth tapers instead pushing outward.

Here is an update on the sleeves, I think I got the shape down.

Still looking for more ideas for the gauntlet.

Nice model. The elbows and arms might match the legs better if the coveralls were more baggy (more folds/ padded) in the upper body area?

I finally got an arm design that I like and I worked more on the wrinkles of the shirt.

There are no coveralls on this guy, just a hoodie, a tshirt, and some pants.

More crits welcome.

I got the Low poly and bakes done

Got the texture done.

More from Toolbag