BMW325 gone drifting (Decals & Smoke)

hi

this is a car i made a while ago, now i’m trying to do a track drifting scene, 1st try:

now as it is rendered with cycles, i want to add smoke, but i can’t find a good way to do it in cycles, any ideas?

thank you.

Here is an hour long in depth tutorial on how to do just this thing How To Drift A Car In Blender

If you want to do this in Cycles, I believe that you still have to render smoke in blender internal and then composite it over the Cycles render. The newest blender builds do have volumetric shaders but I have seen no tutorials as of yet on creating cycles smoke.

Blender 2.7 volumetric shaders + noise as density + math node … and lots of trial and error, but with some luck it can be done.

Here is an hour long in depth
yea i’ve seen that but couldn’t do it in cycles.

composite it over the Cycles render
tried that and failed, you can’t make composite-ed smoke through car wheels look naturally.

volumetric shaders

Blender 2.7 volumetric shaders + noise as density + math node

tried smoke2cycles addon but the result of the render is bad/hard to get it look like a smoke.

but thank you.

how about the scene? is it good.

critique are welcome too.

The cars position is too close to the apex of the previous bend to be in the transition stage after a drift. If there is a bend to the left that the car is just entering, then you need to have that visible in the image… as is I see the car to be in a spin, not a controlled drift.

This car position would be correct if the bend the car is exiting were coming from the opposite direction

If there is a bend to the left that the car is just entering, then you need to have that visible in the image.
it is a circle track, and i get you that i need to show it, any ideas, thanks.

This car position would be correct if the bend the car is exiting were coming from the opposite direction
i have some drifting footage which i built the position from:

and a change in camera position test:

I myself have not achieve this effect yet, but I believe that you have to use a Zdepth pass in order to get the smoke to envelope the wheels. That’s all the advice that I can give for now.

I myself have not achieve this effect yet, but I believe that you have to use a Zdepth pass in order to get the smoke to envelope the wheels. That’s all the advice that I can give for now.
i tried it, awfle results, but thank you for trying to help.

more clearer render with new color:

critiques are welcome, thank you.

i would reduce the softness of the overall image. that gives the image a type of tilt-shift-effect. the reflections/glare of the rims a really good, like them. without this softness also the glosiness of the carpaint will work better i guess :slight_smile:

i would reduce the softness of the overall image
that was because of dof, here it is fixed:

i will put this project on hold until cycles gets proper smoke rendering, thank you all.

The way you put your car it seems out of control and about to get out of the track. When drifting the car is always facing towards the center of the curve.

It´s still in wrong position. As you can see the ref. image is very zoomed so the bend looks closer to the car than it really is.
If you move your car further away from the first bend then the image would look more natural.
But you are getting there. Dont give up!

The car pos is so wrong

The way you put your car it seems out of control and about to get out of the track. When drifting the car is always facing towards the center of the curve.

It´s still in wrong position. As you can see the ref. image is very zoomed so the bend looks closer to the car than it really is.
If you move your car further away from the first bend then the image would look more natural.

The car pos is so wrong

here is a quick render with the updated position:

Dont give up!
i’m not for sure, i’m just waiting for the smoke to get in cycles -2.71- hopefully.

I’m not sure if the car looks wrong because it doesn’t have a very good material or because there isn’t enough for it to reflect, try either fixing the material or adding an HDRI, otherwise it looks great

because there isn’t enough for it to reflect
the soft reflection is intended, should all cars have a sharp reflectivity?

otherwise it looks great
thank you.

as cycles has now smoke i’ll continue on this -iAw-: first adding decals:

as always c&c are a welcome.

Blender 2.71 is gonna have smoke rendering.

yeah, i use dev. builds so it is here already.

adding smoke, quick render, there is still noise.

but does it look right?