Key Blending?

Does Blender have the ability to blend the value of a key frame based on the key frames before and after it?
So you can say… make this key frame 50% between the previous and next key frame? Or 20% or what ever works.
Thanks
Moris

It’s a bit hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do but you can adjust he interpolation between keyframes in the Graph Editor by editing the curves of whatever properties you are animating.

There is a tool but for armatures only and is used in the 3Dview. No such tools in Dopesheet or Graph Editor (yet) AFAIK.

The Breakdowner slides all selected bones between two keyframes with mouse. Percentage shows in 3Dview header while dragging the mouse.

In Pose Menu > In-Betweens and in the Tool Shelf (Key T) when in Pose mode.

Ctrl E - Push Pose
Alt E - Relax Pose
Shift E - Pose Breakdowner

-LP

Other place where mixing control exists is in NLA editor.

Normal workflow with Blender animation is to create “Actions” in Dope sheet using key frame and tweak between key frame movements in Graph editor. The actions are assembled in NLA editor as strips. There, each strip can be mixed between overlapping strips to give you smooth blending between actions. Different types of mixing are available.

Thanks LarryPhillips, That sounds promising. I’ll check it out.
This i guess is the sort of functionality I’d love to see. It could be an add-on or something I guess.

Tween Machine: http://youtu.be/RUaLVfD_p5I

Not that I want Blender to be Maya, but it is (IMO) an essential tool for animation. It would be great for Blender to do something like this.

Ridix, thanks for the tip, all though I don’t think this is really what I’m looking for and I think it’ll make the process way more cumbersome.
What I’ve been doing for now is: selecting the before and after key frames, converting the curves to linear, then moving the time slider to a place I like, setting a key, then sliding the new keys over to where I want them, and re-setting the curves to constant again.
It’s cumbersome, but kinda works. Having a tool like this would make things smoother for animators to get poses and timing out faster.
:slight_smile:
M

One way to ‘blend’ would be to select those keyframes in the dopesheet, press V, and select ‘automatic’. Though if an object/bone needs to come to a stop and stay still for any length of frames, the stop and start keyframes need to be set to ‘auto clamed’ otherwise it will move during that period.

Tween machine was always good for getting that extra pose between keys with 75% less work. You kinda get it almost there with tween machine, then tweak it the rest of the way by hand. It’s more about getting extra poses with less work than it is for timing.