Anyone have Daz3d?

Hello! I’m thinking of buying the millennium cat le from the daz site but I don’t want to get daz (an installer downloading from a mail link seems really fishy and besides, I don’t need it). I was wondering if any of you would be willing to convert it to a collada after I buy it (a collada saves the rigging right?). I would be so grateful if anyone could :smiley:

Thanks in advance!

I don’t think you’d have any problems with getting Daz Studio from their e-mail link. That’s their business model, and they’ve been at it for years. The only downside is the periodic e-mails to try to tempt you to buy more stuff. If that sort of thing bothers you, get a temporary mailbox and ignore it or close it once you have Daz downloaded and installed.

I can’t give you any advice regarding collada or using DAZ rigging in Blender, I never tried it.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll probably give it a try this weekend. It’s good to know people think its fine, I was kind of worried about the fact that it just starts downloading right when you click on the link. I’m excited to work on textures and fur!

In my humble opinion, Daz|Studio is better than Poser – and it’s free. The free Genesis/Genesis 2 figures are awesome and the price for the various clothing and such isn’t really that expensive. Plus they have deals all the time which offer discounts on many items.

When I got back into 3D this last time, I used Daz 3D for a while, still have it on my computer. I wanted to play with 3D faster than the curve to relearn Blender (AGAIN) [I’d been gone for several years and EVERYTHING had changed in Blender]. And, I liked the freebies that I could get in the models for Daz3D. Do a search for “Daz3D freebies” and you’ll find links to them - look for links that go to the Daz website.

Right now they have their 4.6 Pro version for free if you really want to check the program out properly.
http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content/daz-studio-4-pro

I re-learned Blender this time by making models in Blender that I then imported into Daz Studio until I started figuring out how to do all my modeling and rendering etc in Blender. Was a nice comfy stepping stone back into 3D stuff for me, since Daz let me see results and videos and things now while I learned to get my own creations looking good in Blender.

How do you import a model that comes from Daz3d and apply an armature? (If you’ve done this) I find that the models are made of lots of separate objects. If I used JOIN in Blender this doesn’t actually weld the pieces together and the armature pulls the pieces apart.

The probelm I have had with DAZ3d models is that they are made in pieces which you have to join together in Blender, but armatures seem to treat them still as separate pieces and they pull apart.

after join select all in edit mode an remove doubles