Classic trilogy look

So, this test was done in Cycles. The goals were to:

1. Find a good way of making a planet in cycles.
  2. Figure out how to create the windows on the ISD, wich was originaly done for BI, not Cycles. Did it using particles, with the source object being a small cube with an emission material, scattered using weight paint for density.
  3. Create a look of the still as if it was from the original trilogy, with oldschool models and not CG. This I’m still not happy with, will continue working on that…

This is what I ended up with. Rendered with Cycles, some post process in compositor, and colourfixing in PS (could have been done in the compositor, but took the easy way out).

wow! the only thing im bothered by is that where the engines are, the stuff around them looks like plastic, and the black spaceships center looks too round, i thought it was more of a hex shape…
but very very nicely done! impressive planet

TIE fighter

Nice pic, Radbes. I’m a diehard Star Wars nut. The main reason I started playing around with 3DCG back in the '90s was to make pics like this.

Steve S

Thanks!

I think I got the planet-making down. Changed the clouds from a displacement to a bump, but the ground still uses a displacement. Tried to do Hoth instead and the process is quite simple now that I can use my Tatooine as a base and just change the textures and colour of the atmosphere.
Getting closer to the other goals Im experimenting with also. Added a little bumbpmapping to the ISD to make it not look so much like clean plastic.

All I can say is Wow…love it.

I like the increased motion blur on the second one. It looks amazing.

I liked the lower contrast look of the first image better

Great renders! The render of Hoth looks better in terms of the planet itself, but I prefer the lighting on the ship in the first render.

Dude… i love Star Wars - and your Render is just amazing! Very great work.

looks great!, hope disney don’t ruin the old trilogy

Very cool. Both pictures look good enough they could be from a Hollywood film. However comparing it with an actual still from the film, both images look a little too clean to match the look of the original Star Wars.