Problems rigging character after post-retopology sculpting

I think I’ve probably misunderstood the process since this is my first full character and I was sort of looking more to dive in. As I understood it, after retopology you could sculpt in some additional details, the problem is that the post -retopology sculpts I made (very slight) have now created a problem where the rigify object doesn’t move those new polygons as part of its deformations. Do I need to go back to an old version before the edits, or is there something to do in permanently applying the normal map I baked to the low mesh character so that it’s not an issue when I sculpt?

Sorry if the question is confusing I tried searching for it but wasn’t able to find an answer.

You bake a texture to a image form the high resolution mesh to the low resolution mesh . You just use the baked image for texture. Understanding this is not a simple answer you can get here you need to search some tutorials.
When you model a mesh for animation you make it to deform well and do not change it. If you change it for textures you just keep the image you baked.

I’m using the baked normal for texture in cycles, there’s no problems there, not sure what the second sentence means? I’ll take a screenshot of the issues and post them in a bit.