Best free editor for RAW images ?

whats the best free/opensource editor for raw images ?

i cantget the ufraw plug n for gimp to work i get an error after instlling it…

any other alternatives ?

thanks!

Hey!

You can check out darktable software.

Take care.

I like Darktable and RawTherapee. You can also try Photivo.

You can also use UFRaw as a standalone program (not GIMP needed)

Adobe Bridge has a 30 day free trial. It can manipulate RAW image files.

+1 for Darktable, and RawTherapee.

I prefer LightZone,This was one of the first programs to offer 16-bit. non-destructive editing of RAW images, plus the ongoing ability to selectively withdraw adjustments and innovative batch-processing options.

The commercial versions of LightZone drew consistent praise from serious photographers, including a Macworld review that compared it favorably to Adobe and Apple competitors and concluded: “If you long for simplicity in photo editing in an un-bloated piece of software, give LightZone 3.0.6 a try. Its unique visual approach to editing, time-saving Styles, and well-designed help system will aid the learning process.”

I used to work with Photovio, and then I heard about RawTherapee. This piece of software is all you need.

I just downloaded raw Therapee cause it was the prettiest. Another software I can not even get a image into. It may be just me that does not understand but I do not get it. Why is it obvious to others?..
Well I got it to open a photo. but I will probably go for light zone because, I just want to get some work done and do not want to spend so much time trying to figure out how to do the simple. There are so many tutorials for Light Zone. Im wondering how well it does on big files/ images.
Edit Never mind it seems easy now.

rawtherapeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I cant find a masking tool in Raw. Look at all the tools in Light room!
My raw footage looks like garbage in light room and the raw adjustment button " as shot" does not make the image look like the one I shot.
Afranx why? Come on! You can say it! Tell me! why you like it. Is it secret information?

Raw Therape seems to save what ever you do if you like it or not and then you need to figure out how to get back or open the original. Very few of its youtube tutorials are in English. i still do not see any masking. selecting or anyway to edit only parts of the image there. Its a little buggy on my windows 7 and does not like intous 4, i need to get my mouse to adjust the curves.
To correct my post above It is Lightzone that opens my RAW NEF really bad. The image one the right is in the Irfan viewer on the left os in lightzone.

I’ve been using RawTherapee for a couple of years for my RAW files, I’m fairly sure that there isn’t a way to select only parts of an image for editing, for that kind of thing I use Gimp as it can open the TIFF files from RT. Just in case you’re still looking, to restore the edited image to the original version in the main view of the image click where it says “last saved”, top right hand corner of the window. From there it possible to set the image to default.

I do not like separating image in light zone. It has so little control on the edges. I like masking in a 2d program.
I have been using Raw the most. I can not use my wacom on the curve controls.
Thanks for the help.