Dolphins

Blender internal + photoshop

6 Likes

Like it.

If I’d done this, I’d be very pleased.

One suggestion, however, I think softer caustics would be, at least, worth a render.

That little fishy is in trouble :slight_smile:

Most of seems seems to be good already, but I think the sand should have a higher frequency, but lower intensity bump, and you should see about increasing the displacement resolution of the water’s surface partially seen above if you have the RAM.

The dolphins and fishes look nice though.

Awesome render! It has a somewhat subtle but distinct style to it. Something to do with the lack of the underwater lighting qualities in the foreground, which makes the atmosphere more surreal :yes:

Breathtaking work, Tarnyloo73! This image really shows the great work that can be achieved when combining multiple mediums. The colors and simultaneously sharp but painterly forms are very pleasing. I agree with Ace Dragon’s comments about the sand, but regardless, this is a very strong piece. I hope to see more from you in the future! 5 star work!

beautiful, nice composition.

Thanks for the comments folks.

The sharply defined seabed and caustics were artistic choices as I prefer a more illustrative look to a photographic one. However, I agree with Signguy and Ace that these elements now look a little too crisp.

Ain’t hindsight lovely.

Is that the caustic generator? I would put a soft blur on mine in photoshop for animations but yours look better.

A really nice piece of artwork! It immediately reminded me of the illustrations one can find in field guides when I saw it over at blendernation. And according to your last post the illustrative look was just what you were aiming for. So I would say: You fully succeeded :yes:

This is a nice render. The dolphins are well-modeled, and the lighting is convincing. One thing it lacks, though, is a good water atmosphere. You need more floating particles, sunrays and blue haze to give the impression of the ocean. Still though, you did good with this. =)

Nice scene!!!
but the caustics are strange (too sharp for this depth) and also the strong light coming from the bottom.
there’s also a lack of deepness, and because of that, scale!! ( in under water scenes, you should use DOF, because water isn’t clear as air)
Some other tweaks would be nice in post… (‘no RenderEngine is perfect!’)

but I really like this scene!!!
Good work!!

wow! the only things about dolphins (ive seen some) are that they are pretty scarred up on their backs.
also, when sunlight falls on the seabed, it doesnt look like that, its a lot more subtle and in this shallow water the bottom would probably by sand.
also, DoF would be nice.
but other than that, pretty realistic!

The dolphin on the right looks so 2D, you took great artistic control over it