yafaray tests

i think i will start a thread for yafaray renders
feel free to post here!

trees done in yafaray v1.1 and blender v2.66a
v0.1

added a tree. table v0.1:

yafaray is awesome. :slight_smile:

trees v0.1… fir forest, figured it matched the snow ;):

an update of the table, with some suggestions from elsdon.
v0.2:

thanks @elsdon!

some renders of a red race boat:

:);):smiley:

i remade the new benchmark for Cycles scene and rendered it with Yafaray.
honestly its a terrible scene for benchmarking but i wanted to see how it went.

So 27 minutes. Glossy is always a problem because it creates noise, but im happy with it.

how long did cycles take? nice scene :slight_smile:

Hi, I made this terrible :stuck_out_tongue: scene for Cycles GPU benchmarking, low poly, hard light situation.
We would compare GPU render time until 1000 samples so grain does not matter here.
The tile setting is bad for CPU but good for GPU, try 32x32.
@Humbleroller, can you upload the scene with Yafaray settings, please?
I like to play a bit with Yafaray.

Cheers, mib.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?303832-New-Cycles-Benchmark&p=2511896&viewfull=1#post2511896

Cycles file in first post.

… and im busted ! :o

yafaray_cornell_bench.blend (1.58 MB)
for some reason I couldnt upload a .RAR file but a .blend file is okay.

I think Yafaray is like a poor mans Vray. Its pretty powerful but not the fastest. No support for render passes yet which i found very odd.

I had a quick look at it too, just for fun. The settings are not definitive and could be improved. I only spent a half hour with it.

Cycles - cpu i5 760 - 11.51.24
Cycles - GTX 760 - 03.06.91
Yafaray PM - (cpu obviously) - 02.13.78
Yafaray PT - I stopped the render after 10 mins having rendered 2 of 5 passes. To be fair though, you wouldn’t normally be rendering interiors with Yafaray PT.

I also amended the geometry slightly as the thin walls were producing light leaks.

yafaray doesnt support render passes, because it doesnt need to. if you have rough edges, increase the antialias passes and samples, if you have noisy shadows, increase the samples on the light thats making the shadows. heres my yafaray scene with the scale fixed up a bit:

of course is needs it. I love rendering in passes. GI, Reflection, especially AO.
Sometimes the GI is too strong and needs dampening. Reflections can be blurred quickly and AO always needs a tinker.
Better to render them separately than all together.

the lights have samples, and thats almost the same.
but yeah, you could always render them seperately :slight_smile:

Some test renders Yafaray 0.15 Blender 2.69, in most of them testing materials, lighting scenarios and high poly , instances behaviour.

Attachments

psv those look really good!

I tend to use around 16M photons, 8M each diffuse and caustic, I like the more detailed refraction.

here is a frame of an animation i am rendering using Blender 2.69.11(2.7 release candidate) + Yafaray

ray depth: 32
tile size:16
Photon Mapping
Depth:16
Diffuse Photons: 8,000,000
caustic photons: 8,000,000
Final Gather
bounces: 3
samples: 32
Anti-Aliasing
Mitchell
Samples: 3
Passes: 1

Great thread guy I feel at home in here. Why I haven’t heard the word; ‘Node’ once… oops, damn it!

I like enclosed scenes where I can rotate the camera at will. And, of course for a still Photon Mapping rules there. But, mainly my interest are in animating. So I use YafaRay with Direct Lighting, AO and Caustics to keep the render times down. Caustics because I love my glass and gloss. And, at any given time the camera might be looking at both.

I think YafaRay is a sophisticated little hybrid which could use another developer or two. And, they have been with Blender for a long time. Since 2004 officially if memory serves me. Of course suddenly the rage is Raytracing. But, not to many years ago if a Blenderhead wanted GI they turned to YafaRay. Hell I still love it and the few developers are hard at it.

Maybe in the future we could prefix any thread about YafaRay with simply that; YafaRay: Excellent idea here. theoldghost

///

Yafaray, rendertime: 12 minutes

Attachments

awesome renders everybody! love the crystal, and theoldghost i like yours too although the pics on the walls seem huge.
anyway, update of the table, adding another house:

the render took 15h instead of the old 1-2h because im using photon mapping this time, higher res, 1 mil photons, and i have a crappy pc (1g ram, 1.66ghz)
.blend: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/27399