Some of my illustrations I'll be modeling for the character challenge

I’ll probably focus on Malik and the main tree at the center of the African fantasy digital comic I do (The Call), which combines cartoony figures with detailed textures and I think will be perfect for working in cycles. thankfully since I’ve done the comic already I know exactly how I want him to look, and it’s just a matter of creating some lineart turns which shouldn’t be too hard.

Attachments

Looks really cool, and the hard part is already done. That tree scene is awesome, looks like you do backgrounds really good too.

Thanks, backgrounds are my favorite part of illustrations - at least the organic ones, buildings are boring to me but I never get tired of nature.

That landscape made me sit up from my seat, and almost made me adjust my glasses. Cool work, man!

Ironically to work on that tree in blender b/c of the particles rendering I think. It took me an annoyingly long time to draw but I knew how it looked in my head so I drew it maybe 15-16 times until it really looked like a swirling mass of organic looking leaves. Then it would make sense that in this fantasy story a tribe had settled around something that looked magical. It’s a subtle way to introduce the concept of magic as a reality in another world without having to throw in explainers or bad exposition - aka modern writing.

Very nice work, it definitely does feel well African, lol. But this is wonderfully done. This was actually my first attempt to paint over a model. You inspire me to do more.

I like it, those browns work really well.
I also want to try modeling some of the spell ritual scenes from the second part of the book, but I’m working on the character challenge first in order to learn the workflow and not get ahead of myself.

I want to see these when modelled and textured. Beautiful work!!

I’ve started modeling the old man it’s my first full character and i’m now on the retopology step and learning a lot for doing a better job next time I model. Definitely an interesting process to learn.

Still working on the model and his cloak but it’s getting closer to what I want to see, going to do his teeth and eyelashes and some other details next then learn to do rigging which looks fun in blender. For the backgrounds I’ll be using a combo of 2d images imported as planes and 3d, I’ll mostly be reserving 2d for the distances where we lose parallax and a simple horizontal/vertical shift will do. That style itself of folding the two together to look like claymation is something I’ll be sticking with.

I think the drawing of the big guy in the grass with the sun behind him looks really great. Beautiful detail on the musculature. That would be a real challenge to model though!

Thanks, I would like to model him (he’s the main character’s dad) if the first trailer generates interest, texturing that character would be fun. Actually there wouldn’t be much texturing to do since I hand painted all the textures for his clothing so I could just re-use those from my PSD files once I remove the masking.

Wrapped up the character model, other than a last thing which will be adding a secondary cloak (his first one protects against the elements) shortly. Going to do a simple animated trailer of 30-35 seconds showing how he created the future mage we see in the last third of the comic. Also testing out the first layer of a simple snowing effect.