Beetle

Hi this is my first post on Blenderartists. My beetle model rendered in cycles as a test for an idea I had for a rust holed shader.

Wow, very very cool

I like the textures on this.

Well done.

Ha…this is great…spent many years working on VWs here in the Notheast U.S…most looked like this. your rusty hole shader works well…if I might…the rust on the hub caps generally tends to start around the edges…where it’s been pried and snapped on… and spread from there…and at least one always seems to be missing…cool…and welcome.

cool, i love this car, wished to own one.

Welcome to the forum.
Brilliant first post.
I love it.

Natman that looks great. It would look awesome in a old barn or similar environment.

The rusted texture, just love it :slight_smile:

great textures and a really cool image. are the rusted holes made with image textures going into a mix shader node with a transparent node? this is the way i make simple holes in cloth for example

Your first post ? Hopefully not your last one, because this looks excellent, i love the texture. Great work, keep it up :slight_smile:

Wow!!! I just quit now. My first image posting won’t be anywhere near this pretty.

Yes, frequenzlos, a single greyscale image that feeds into mix shaders. White is clean paintwork, greys producing the rust shader and ultimately blacks feeding into the transparent shader. took a little tweeking to get the desired levels.

Very nice - much more interesting than most car renders :slight_smile: Care to share some more renders from different angles?

Not the usual car you’d find in a showroom, but probably the one with the most character. Great work, good sir!

Thanks for all the positive comments. Here are a couple of different angles taken from an animation.

I have made this model (without these shaders and in Blender internal format) available on Blendswap if anyone would like to have a play with it.

Awesome first post Natman! Love the rust shader. Keep up the awesomeness!

Natman, is the rust shader procedural or did you have to hand paint them? They look amazing. could you maybe share the cycles nodes?

Ok, here is the node set-up for the front wings. The colour brightness/contrast nodes filter the parts of the greyscale image to be shiny/rusty or transparent.

and the this is the uv image for where the rust goes (top texture input in node set-up). Lower texture input is just a rust texture.

Hope this helps.

Nice first post! welcome to the forum, this looks very nice.
My only crit would be that it seems there is either rust, or no rust. Shouldn’t there be a bit of transition? maybe I just haven’t studied rust enough…