Rotation of instances in particle systems

I am trying to use particle systems to emulate Vue ecosystem functionality and, after some trials and some life saving tutorials I have managed to reach feature parity using hair/groups to contain instances to be replicated.

There is one last thing that does not look right. The maximum angle of random rotation I manage to obtain for instances is 180 degrees (the overall rotation goes, as expected, from 0 to 360 degrees). If I want to have instances oriented randomly on evey direction I have to add another copy, rotated 180 degrees to the group containing the instances to be replicated (so that Blender uses randomly one or the other and therefore the full range of possible angles is covered). I am missing something and this is the expected behaviour of particles or it is a bug (tried both with 2.69 and a very recent nightly)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help.

I didn’t fully understand what you did. But I think I’m trying to do something similar, get the trees of an landscape rotate ramdomly. Is that it? I still can’t get the trees to have diferent rotations on their own axes. Could you post some of the tutorials you used, and could you explain your workflow a little bit more detailed?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

EDIT: Ok, i’ve manage to find the rotation that I wanted, but with a little detail, I have to rotate the base group, and, well, it just doesn’t work for me, because that would change the other instances of the group in other files… I think I’ll make another post for this issue anyway, since it’s different from youre problem jpb06…

You can randomize the Phase of particles to offset their rotation.

Attachments

The problem is that I’ve manage to do it with the object facing towards the X axis, and I need that the original group to face Z up, here’s an image…

I need the result on the right with the group oriented like on the left :slight_smile: