hinge for making jiggly text?

I want my text to “wiggle” as I move it left or right, up and down.
I tried the hinge constraint and parented my text to a plane below it, but I can’t get it to work.
For example of what I want look in this video, starting from 0:32:

basically i want to add a little physics to the text.

The question was asked in the wrong thread.

What do you mean? Wrong forum category? Or bad thread name?

You need animation support below

*** MODERATION ***
Thread moved to Support

That is more of an ‘after motion’ technique.

What is the shortest distance between two points? For a scientist, the answer is a straight line, which requires only two keyframes. For an animator, the answer is at least three keyframes. The two required by the scientist and the extra one for the over shoot. When trying to reach your target point, miss it initially, then use an extra keyframe to go back to your target location (rotation or scale).

oh, sorry about that.

I was hoping this could be done automatically by physics because there is so much text.
Similar effect is used in games for ‘jiggle bones’, so I thought I could use physics and some constraint to achieve similar effect in Blender.

What I see in that video is the result of a softbody mesh. That can be done automatically. Your initial video is just text. The text in that initial video was probably done in After Effects using either Sure Target or an expression from www.motionscript.com.

In Blender you can connect the two via vertex parenting. In the attached BLEND file I have vertex parented the text to a non renderable plane. Then I made the plane a softbody. Now when I animate the plane it has an automatic after motion which is controlled under the physics panel. Adjust the softbody parameters to control the after motion effect. The text still remains editable in this kind of setup, which is nice. Increase object friction to control the bounce.

Attachments

softbody_parent.blend (87.8 KB)