Beginner help bending a sylinder

First of, this is my first modeling project, ever. It’s been a hell to figure everything out, even with such a simple model, but I’m getting to a point where I’m able to do what I think, with some exceptions. All comments on how to improve the model are welcome, but the hardest part for me is the area described below.

I know this model might be controversial and what not, but the reason to why I picked up modeling is because I want to prototype some lamp working ideas that I have. Sorry for the bad references.

The area I’m having a problem with.

What I’ve done as attempts is: Extrude, cancel, scale inwards, extrude out and that is pretty much where I crash. I’ve tried spinning it upwards, but if I spin it the upper edge of the edge loop will come inside the pipe. I’ve tried rotating it but end up with a similar result.

Right now I’m on the idea to extrude the bottom, cap it, then add another cylinder from the top and merge them together, but I’d like to know if there is a better way of doing it.

Thanks in advance
k

Thanks for the help brother, but I am not talking about cutting the holes, more making the joint after the hole. To me I’ve had problems with getting the bend but I’ve so far come to the conclusion that its easier making two meshes and merging instead of trying to form the main mesh.

I have a little theory to test now so if it works I’ll come back with updates.

For reference, this is a tutorial I used figure out how to cut the hole: http://vimeo.com/68844586

OK, here is how the weld currently looks:

Not really sure I’m happy with it but its the best results I’ve gotten so far. I used two cylinders, added a circle with shrink-wrap to both then I bridge the edge loop. It is not exactly what I was looking for but I guess I can smooth it out with some other modifier.

I’ll just add: Merging two rotated cylinders in the event of someone googling this.

Not such a simple first project…

Yea, what ever gets you through the day…

I would make the stem with a curve and bevel and taper objects. For the area they are connected I would probably just take a torus and use a little scupting on it to make it look like melted glass. Everything does not have to be a single object.

I was thinking of this as an approach, but I couldn’t find the BevOb button anywhere. I was trying to follow http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Tutorials/Modeling/Curves/Making_A_Tube but thats for 2.4 and I’m on 2.69 so that might obviously be the reason.

I’ll look more into your suggestion tomorrow cause I suspect it might be the best way.

Thank to everyone trying to help out, much appreciated.

bevOb That is in the curve data the little curve with 2 dots at the ends icon, when the curve is selected.i wanted also to say it was not so simple so keep up the good work.

Thank you so much brother. I was constantly looking for the BevOb button and I checked all the properties tabs but with your directions of where to look and a little bit of thinking I have now found the Bevel Object drop down:)

I’ll play around a bit with it as I suspect it might be a very useful tool modelling glass tubes with somewhat complex shaping.

For bending the tube, this might help:

1. Cut three (or more?) edge loops where you want to bend. Select the one of the loops (i’d start at one “end” of the series of loops), move the 3d cursor to the center. Set the 3d cursor to the pivot point. Rotate. Repeat this process for the other loops in order, and you should get a nice relatively gentle bend without much pinching. Then use edge slide to manipulate the loops a bit so it looks a bit nicer.

Oh, and don’t forget to use Set Smooth :wink:

Nothing works like Spin tool for bending tubes: select end loop, put 3d cursor a bit aside from the loop, click Spin button; Ctrl-(-) changes direction. Adjust number of loops or angle on the bottom of tool panel after clicking the Spin button.