IK Question on Crouching

This may or may not be simple to do.
But basically i have a very basic Human rig. 1 head, 2 arms, 2 legs, and a body.

I’m wondering if i can set up IK bones to make it so i can pull the Base of the spine down, and rather than pull the entire rig down, the knees will bend.

It would be a great time saver in animation d:

Thank you ^-^

Yup. That’s one of the things IK is good for. Normally that ‘base of the spine’ is called ‘hips’ because, visually, that’s what moves. You can set up IK on the hands, too, but when you are doing crouching type movements, you’ll want the hands in FK, otherwise your character will look like he’s doing a mime routine.

Hmm d:
I’m trying to look at the constraints on the deformation bones of a rigify rig and i’m a little confused on how to replicate it though. I made an IK tail once but that was some time ago and i was never able to figure out how to make an IK chair always bend to face a knee controller s:

[Edit]
I feel like i almost have it… but every time i try and move the IK controller the entire leg rapidly spins or coils up. -.-

When things spin like that it usually means you have a circular reference somewhere in the bone chain you are trying to pose. That is when bone A moves bone B, bone B moves bone C, and then bone C moves bone A which is the beginning of the circle.

Now, this might happen because of how things are parented, or how they are constrained, or a combination. Make a list of all the bones in the IK chain (based on chain length) and check their parents and any constraints they might have.

I feel like i’m getting closer now. I’ve stopped the spinning however once i add the pole target on the knee, the bones will no longer bend. If i turn on the influence for rotation they start bending again but in all the wrong ways.

And i’m begining to wonder if this will only work for bringing the foot IK up rather than pulling the hips down. I wish i could upload a blend file but i have computer parts and havn’t been able to do that for months, but you can imagine just a new blender file with a Hip bone, Thigh Bone, Shin Bone, and a foot bone for angling the foot. then i can add IK controllers and pole targets as needed s:

This is the best tutorial I’ve seen on rigging. It’s long, but full of information. Unfortunately, the instructor assumes you go through the series in order, so if you skip ahead, you’ll probably miss something important. It took me about a week to work through it, but it was a week well spent.

Oh! o:
That did it! Thank you very much :smiley:

And i’m surprised i’ve never seen that Tutorial, Nathan does fantastic tutorials and i personally think he’s hilarious when he makes them xD

Something about doing it slowly in a calm matter helped i think.
One of my problems was that i was trying to set up the IK after weight painting. But what it really came down to is to have the root of the pole target’s bone to be at roughly the same place as the knee joint.
I tried that out after seeing that the foot not only needed to have no parent (which i had before) but it also needs to be placed in the same position almost as if they were connected :slight_smile:

I’m so excited! haha! :smiley:

Thank you so much :slight_smile: