modern house (old design from 1949)

hi all

trying to learn visualizing exteriors, this model is a sketch i found on the internet:

and here is what i got, morning scene (no post production):

night scene, or i should say dusk.

i love to see very focused critic.

thanks

Great start. The interiors lit by sky lights seem a bit to bright? And the stylised trees, while cool, seem at odds with the natural grass.

The interiors lit by sky lights seem a bit to bright?
u mean the morning scene, i do agree.

And the stylised trees, while cool, seem at odds with the natural grass.
yes that too, but i don’t know what kind of a tree is that in the sketch!

addressed some changes for the day scene:

I think that the trees are super stylised fur trees.

I love the look af the new render, but the smokey dark glass is a bit extreme for the period of the house. I think that more realistic trees would help or conversly less realistic ‘other’ greenery.

I think that more realistic trees would help
yeah i think so

added smoke to night scene:

Love it. The exterior lights are really nice. Lots of smoke though, hope they have an extinguisher handy :slight_smile:

Very nice scene! Lots to work with if you want a daytime “photorealistic” natural-looking scene!

In terms of lighting of THIS version of the scene, you have caught “the blue hour” (term used in BlenderGuru’s recent Architectural Acadamy course!) where having all the INTERIOR lights on, is just about right—would look very odd if it was “midafternoon”, but at early twilight time, all lights on looks good, AND you can still see some or most of the EXTERIOR of the building and the surrounding area!

I don’t know about you, but when I get home from a long day—particularly at this relatively high latitude, I flip on ALL the lights! It’s gonna be BLACK out there in a half-hour so why wait? ;o}

There are lighting tools that get into HUGE amounts of details on “colour temperature” “gamma range” even down to specific light bulbs…
It’s what professional interior-designers use for planning lighting for “spaces” like art galleries or showrooms… I can’t remember what it’s called, but I’ll get back to you that, as I KNOW it was part of the “B.G.-A.A." course I recently completed… ;o}

The black body emission temperature measured in kelvin? Most people put I. The wrong bulbs anyway…

Thinking about the chimney I believe that they typical form a narrow funnel at the top to accelerate the vertical draw of oxygen at the bottom. The rectangular dressing is for show. So the emission of smoke would probably only come from a small area somewhere across the top instead of all the top.

@3pointEdit:lol, your right i’ll narrow the smoke a bit.

@themacguy: thanks, and i intend to make it as realistic as possible, that’s why i put it in the critique section.

how do you do these darkened corners.
i assume some blender post compositing effect but how ?

how do you do these darkened corners.
it is called vignette

here is an updated scene,fixed smokey dark glass, narrower smoke, new trees, tree shadows on grass, little desaturated:

Add some “grunge” and chipped edges (a few…) to the cement, add some gardening equipment (nicely “scuffed and dented”, leaned up against the basement wall, and it will help “sell the scene” (and tell a “’story” about the people living there… Toss a few dead leaves on the lawn—NO lawn is as perfect as this… (wish we had a lawn like that HERE…. wanna borrow some weeds, and crabgrass…

In short… Lovely “perfect” (too perfect!!) work—add a few minor defects here and there, and then it’ll be ‘photographic” completely!
Very nice work—Much nicer trees…

When can I move in??? :wink:

Vignette at night makes sense photographically as its a result of wide aperture. Day time shots dont really exhibit the effect unless using an ultra wide lens.

Trees are nice but now the horizon bisects the image to much. I liked the old trees reaching up with some vericals. This makes the house more flat. Whereas I gather that the designer wanted an airy soaring effect. Hence the expanses of tall glass.

Add some “grunge” and chipped edges (a few…) to the cement, add some gardening equipment (nicely “scuffed and dented”, leaned up against the basement wall, and it will help “sell the scene” (and tell a “’story” about the people living there…

you are right these adds well sell the scene, but i don’t want to tell a story, i want to visualize an archituture building.

Toss a few dead leaves on the lawn—NO lawn is as perfect as this… (wish we had a lawn like that HERE…. wanna borrow some weeds, and crabgrass…

added some more variation, see below

When can I move in??? :wink:

when i buy it :slight_smile:

I liked the old trees reaching up with some vericals
they make it more interesting.
i want to try an add another tree similar to the stylized but a real one.

update:

Hmm. Nice update but if I lived there I would make sure I could see the view past those trees. Bulldoze them and let’s see a horizon. Would give the windows something to frame.

Hmm. Nice update but if I lived there I would make sure I could see the view past those trees

sorry but the only thing you’ll find there is the axis lines. :slight_smile:
thank you for your continuous critique.

so i guess this is as far as i can get with this scene in the focused section. :rolleyes:

Wait… wait… I think that the shadows are to dark, there should be a bit more reflection especially from the driveway. The bricks around the chimney look a bit to dark to my eye. The shadows look to even without sky fill etc.