Evermotion VRay room with Cycles

I worked over the weekend with curve control and tonemapping inside Blender and found
this quite interesting and insightful tutorial. It is made for VRay and while I was able to get
quite close it shows certain differences in for example how GI and lights work different in
Cycles.

So it is hard to use a VRay rendering as a reference when Cycles possibly cannot reproduce
the same result. Often I found Cycles having a lack in GI colors being more washed out.
The difference in this scene is actually not much but when compared noticable.

Attached is the blend file if you want to play with it.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyv5YJygtQc
Blendfile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2ZDJtbTZKcU1JUXc/edit?usp=sharing

Cédric Lepiller re-rendered my scene on a Titan with full GI settings making it quite noticeable that in the corners with full GI you get better results with the limited bounce settings I used to speed up rendering. However in most other areas there is not much different.

path tracer will always give better fine details both in geometry and in textures. so for quality and complexity you sacrifice speed.

what bounce settings have you used ?

what do you mean “full gi” do you mean all setting left at default?

it is certainly closer to the vray example, i’m sure artistic taste comes into it too.

20mins isn’t bad, though the scene does look relatively simple (haven’t download .blend)

you must have really limited the bounces to get such black shadows.

reC I think the renderings are done with each low and full settings.

Why is the V-Ray image so blurry?
Not that it has anything to do with these renders… just wonder :rolleyes:

crap should have pointed that out more - the VRay image is a screenshot from a youtube video !!!

I had them at a minimum to test something but because most looked good I somewhat forgot to increase the gi bounces when rendering later.

very impressive results. That’s a pretty close match at first glance, considering cycles is free.

Thanks for the scene setup with blender ,:eyebrowlift:

I think this is ready to go to BlendSwap :wink:

I rebuild the room to be more accurate and also did an internal light rig.

In the second row the renders are really close to similar. Have you ever experimented with the blackbody node to set the color temperature? In the vRay render the light has a more yellowish tint, I think.

Blender seems to be a little harsher in its light or contrast but I am surprised to see how close you can get.

Generally, perhaps 90 percent of the difference in various engines could be due to the tonemapping settings used (which can affect both contrast and saturation).

For example, all of my recent Cycles images now use a different tonemapping scheme by default and it resulted in softer lighting and the complete elimination of the need for the light falloff node. I say this produces a much larger difference in the raw result than differences that appear if you decided to compare spectral rendering with an RGB render (which doesn’t apply here since Vray is RGB last I checked).

how do u set tho=ings up for softer tonemapping?

cekuhnen, starting to look good now.

Would you share the Blender/V-ray scene please,

I have V-ray for Blender but have never started learning it and would like to test your scene and learn a little from it :slight_smile:

Thanks

Tonemapping in Cycles can be very flexible, but it can also be complex and it may be difficult to find the perfect settings.

Cycles_physTonemap.blend (707 KB)

In this image, the material also contributes to the brightness which is done without AO shading or light rig tricks, you find out that using a technique that allows you to apply the ‘add shader’ node result according to a factor can help compensate for energy lost for the diffuse and glossy light-paths.

I do wish though that we could have full-spectrum color management presets with names like photorealism, enhanced contrast, high-contrast, artistic, cinematic, ect… (covering every setting unlike the camera response curves) It would help a ton with taking out the guesswork on how to do those things.

Here is my finished quick rebuild of the VRay Evermotion room with Cycles as close as possible with the same tools used in VRay such as sky light, area lights, and portal lights.

Portal lights can be done via an environmental texture applied to a mesh light with Reflection as the vector. Works very well. IES lights also work great in Cycles.

This demo scene does not include Marco GZT quite fantastic fake wall AO material because it was not used in the reference renderings.

Render settings are set at a minimum so with Marco’s AO Material as well as more GI samples the colors in the renderings will be even better.

Here is a link to the Blend file which includes all textures, scenes, and reference screenshots.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2d09tS3EybXZhWVU/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you will enjoy exploring this scene.

Thank you very much for this scene. I’m going to explore it soon :).