Challenge #554 (01/24/14) Entries CLOSED

Theme #554 for January 24 2014 is: Glow

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday January 27 2014.

This is not a very inspiring topic, I have no ideas of anything that would look cool.

some things that glow: radioactive materials…fireflies…ghosts…molten metal…energy weapons…certain worms…deep sea fish…spaceships…fungus…

Well, its not the most original concept out there, but I can’t come up with anything good.
Good luck everyone!

Think I bit off way more than I can chew this time. Oh well can’t improve without challenges.

Here is my try…it was a night scene at first but it didn’t look so good, so i turned it to something between day and night :smiley: (thanks to light groups!)
Still far far away from being “not bad”…(and there are some obvious problems with this scene but rendering it again would take another 18 hours!)

Blender+LuxRender / pure entry

Hi guys!!

Well this is the mine:

Nodes.

And a little bit post processed.

A greeting!

wonderland by night pure

I hope it’s not too noobish.

(Ooze) Pure/Cycles 1000

Here my try: distant glow

I have spent more time on this “simple” image than on my previous one, maybe 2x…the main issue was (and it’s also now) the atmosphere: at first i tried with Luxrender and volumetrics, then Cycles and fresnel and lastly with BI, volumetrics and a some postpro in node editor.
The terrain could be more detailed (is using a displacement map) but seems like there is some kind of bug in BI than give strange results when i increase subsurf:

Anyone know the reason?

edit: it’s better to use “correct” or “right” in my case?

For your consideration.

Not the most original concept ever, but I can’t resist terrible puns!

100% Cycles Pure Entry

Here is my entry, all render/glow/glare done in Lux, using Lux volumes for the rays :slight_smile:

I think MrKrabju and Zeealpal’s are my favorite so far :slight_smile:

I wish i understood how indirect lighting worked… I was trying to make a set of jars that had glowing particle like things with glowy rocks in them but it wasn’t wprking at all. I turn on Indirect lighting, and some materials are emissive… but it never actually makes light from those sort of objects…

I don’t know, i’m havin trouble with this week.

My first thought was vacuum tubes glowing. It’s a tube amplifier, fancified more than a bit. Pure Blender and Cycles.

Up to this point in my learning I have not been able to make anything glow. Whenever I had a glow it was added after in paint.net.

My first thought was a little gnome with a steam punk style generator powering an incandescent light bulb, but knew I couldn’t pull it off, definitely not in a weekend. So I thought to myself to try and think like RobertT or SonnySee and tried something a bit more abstract. Then I thought about the old saying “Less is more”, threw that out the window and just went crazy with the compositor.

All blender cycles except the border added in paint.net. 4 render layers and 1000 samples.

Attachments

Pure entry, rendered in Blender
High resolution: http://flitsart.deviantart.com/art/Glow-429665601

Glow cups.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]285270[/ATTACH]

Attachments

[ATTACH=CONFIG]285296[/ATTACH]

one more underwater scene …
tests with volume shaders…2 and 1/2 hour rendertime… needs some corrections.

Modeled after last my last boarding day. It was cloudy misty and suddenly the sun came through the mist.
Pure Blender Cycles. I used the upcoming volume rendering from the current mast branch without any post processing.

My Entry! Let’s Go!