Too much logic.

So I’ve come to a point in my development where I’m a little frustrated. Ive got so much logic that i cant actually connect logic across objects any more, which is a bit of an issue, i was wondering if anyone knew a way around this.

The only solutions that I know of are:

• Learn and use some Python
  • Separate responsibilities of objects (In terms of what their logic does). In other words, decouple them from each other
  • If you really can’t connect bricks, maybe using object states more will make it less cluttered, so you can see what you are doing better

@Kiva
Thank you for the suggestions, looking into the python right now!

Learning python is definitely your best bet, and you can use states to hide some logic.

Slightly off-topic rant incoming:
This is something (in my opinion) that needs upgrading in the game engine. The logic bricks are actually a great way of visualizing python code. At one stage, there were discussions of node-based logic bricks. Not sure if anything came of it.

Bricks currently lack organisation, and no matter what, you can’t work around them. There even HAS to be at least two to run python. They need trees, groups, color coding and layers. What I would ultimately love to see nodes generated from your python scripts, so you can edit and view your python on a visual node tree. In other words, creating and linking nodes/bricks would just automatically add code to the python. This would serve as an easier way for people to get in to python from logic bricks, and even serve those who don’t use logic bricks a viable reason for them to actually exist. To look kind of like UDK’s kismet editor.

My 2 cents :wink:

Give my Python tutorial series a try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQv7bR6zCQ&list=PLDFB7FFF90EE6F0C1&index=1

There are also other relevant videos on my channel.

Add and blocks, move things to top of list etc.

I wish you could cluster logic, and close sections you define (like movement etc) and have it just have the name of the logic cluster with a + sign next to it, (maximize/minimize)

Wow! Very helpful! Thanks Goran!

States are nice for some things,

if you want to stick with logic:
use messages instead of direct connection
use python for the more complex tasks
use states

if you want to use python:
try tutorials
python is great for minimizing logic and getting complex tasks done relatively quickly, but can be slow at times

Interesting, Thank you all for your feedback, its helped alot!