Simple boolean fails

Hello,

I modelled two hands of a clock using Blender 2.69 Hash: a2930c6 built 2014-01-20. I want the hands to be semi transparent, but where they overlap I only want to see one hand. So I decided to use a boolean modifier to achieve this. Which basically works. But often the boolean operation will fail with ‘triangulator.cpp: 916: “didn’t manage to link up hole!”’ in the console.

Attached are some screenshots and a .blend file (booleanError.blend (516 KB)). The hands of the clock are driven by the current frame; for frame 0, the boolean operation will work, for frame 1 it fails (there are many more where it fails).

I checked the normals but did not find any oddity.

Any ideas, or is this a bug I should post?

Thanks and best regards
blackno666

Regulate normals on both objects. Gets rid of the can not execute booleane… I do not know if it fixes all

Thanks for the hint. Indeed there was still an error with the normals. To correct it, go to edit mode and Make Normals Consistent. However, the problem still persists. For example frame 10 is ok while for frame 11 the same error message occurs.

I had to get a older build for the drivers to work( go figure your using 6.9). It looks to me to be working. I used 2.63 and boolean is working good every frame. go figure. If I open it in 2.69 I get the drivers not working and one object gone If I open 2.63 it works fine.
booleanError.blend (508 KB)

kazinger: probably you did not allow pyhton scripts to run in 2.69: File -> User Preferences -> File -> check Autorun Python Scripts.

When I load your attached file, everything works fine, even in 2.69. Why, I do not know…