Blender Cloud

Cloud proposal

This document proposes a next step in Free/Open Content distribution by Blender Institute.Blender Cloud is a web based service developed and provided by Blender Institute that allows people to access the training videos and all the data from the past open movies. It will allow to browse assets and scripts, and might even offer file hosting, file sharing and project management tools in the future.The targets of this project are several:

• Help and support Blender development
  • Explore new ways to distribute and market Open Content
  • Share the advanced functionality for collaborative production that will be developed during the Gooseberry Open Movie project

Where closed software tools “move to the cloud” as a way to control their users and software even more, we can experiment and investigate open source cloud alternatives that brings real benefits to its users and developers.Blender Cloud is going to host and distribute only Open Content: as CC-by or CC0.

Further details of the proposal can be found at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Org:Institute/BlenderCloud and https://developer.blender.org/project/view/36/

Blender cookie just got itself some major competition! :wink:

Will we still able to use Blender on our computers ignoring this thing or are we being sucked into another “cloud” Alcatraz a-la Adobe?

Did you actually read any of the OP or the links in it?

Basically this is an idea to modernise the e-shop. Shipping DVDs and books is so last decade.

But they make great presents!

I actually like written books because it’s something that I can do while I’m rendering something and there’s no bright screens or batteries to deal with.

It’s the same with bookstores, it’s still the only place where you can skim through and read any chapter of any book, cover to cover, before you decide to buy it (not like the Ebook previews where you can only sample the pages they choose for you).

Call me old-fashioned if you dare, but the digitized versions of some things just don’t give the same experience as the physical version.