PETITION - Improving the BGE immediately

““BGE has no major improvements to long, games designers using Blender has serious problems due to this.
All areas of Blender receive constant improvements, except BGE.
This petition is for the Blender Game Engine is improved urgently for upcoming versions of the program (Blender 2.7x).””

Sign and share this petition! :smiley:

What the fuck? wasn’t this an opensource software? Let the devs work where they have more fun

Err, the last year has seen the BGE get additive animation blending, adaptive V-synch, LOD, collision layers, and other assorted features. It might not be very rapid development, but the engine does have developers and new functionality has been worked on.

Heck, one of them even has overhauled and fixed the non-functioning world API that’s currently been approved by the core developers and waiting for the opinion of the BGE team.

I’m not sure if you are aware or not. But Valve donated some money to blender to help improve the BGE. With this money Blender hired on Dalai Felinto (not sure if I spelt that right) to work part-time.
Also, Blender is open source if you want improvements to the BGE… do it yourself?
If you want improvements to BGE donate some money?

Yea bge devs are doing a great job already with the features that Ace Dragon mentioned. I really don’t think open source projects benefit from petitions that have 2 sentences describing the problems. If you had done some ground work and come up with some targets that could be reasonably met in a sensible time…

Yea this is really great. I’ve been using a build from the developer and it’s great being able to change the mist settings with python and all the other world settings. This has been something that has been missing for quite a while and I hope the new changes are reviewed and added into the trunk relatively soon. Well done to HG1 for doing this work.

I see very little that needs to be done. I’m happy with virtually all aspects of the Game Engine now. The only thing I wish that came with it was free time. If you ever find a game engine that comes with an hour a day to spend developing with it, let me know.

Eh, before this goes too far, here’s another related thread (Sept. 16, 2013:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-308197.html

I think most of the major features are there. I’ve seen some amazing things done with the BGE. Some of the data structures need to be organized like scene management and KX_GameObject.

TBH, the BGE has a steady amount of development, although not as much as it could be, being a part of Blender. I’ve only been around for about a year, but IMHO, its only getting better. I would say its growth is proportional to the popularity of open-source gaming.

For general users, what they can do to help is to produce completed games with the BGE to increase its popularity and provide proven examples of its ability. Other ways they can help could involve tutorials and just being helpful in the community. The next step and the hardest step, would be to commercialize the game so the developers could work on the BGE since any upstream improvements benefit them (and the GPL).

The bge lacks very few features in comparison to other engines. The only thing it really lacks is serious game developers (not to say there aren’t any, just few of them). When a serious game is developed, the engine is developed with it; for example, call of duty is still running off 18 years of modified quake engine, and lots of indie developers write their own engines. So in other words, anything could theoretically be added by anyone to the bge since it is open source. It just takes an incredible amount of skill and time to do so.

Yes it isn’t focused on as much as, say Cycles, but still is being developed. The new features aren’t really newspaper headlines like they make the new cycles features out to be. I.e. they just don’t receive the publicity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Imo the biggest thing the BGE needs is the inferred lighting that Kupoman was working on. Does anybody know the progress on that or if it’s going to be implemented at all. All those lights would do wonders for a gta type sandbox game, something that had a lot of…

“City Blocks” :wink:

This is a petition to achieve what?
Whom you want to present it?

I understand you have some frustration but you did not mention why.

There is no “automatic” adding new features and bugfixing. The developers of Blender and the BGE put a lot of effort into both applications. So it would be nice if you took the time and write down what you mean with “improvement”. This is a sign of seriousness and respect.

No this is not urgent. Take the time you need to phrase your thoughts.

BTW: this petition is very vague and generic. A petition should be much more specific with measurable content.

The next release will have a new version number. The BGE gets the same release number. This is an improvement. Better it is a major improvement. This means the petition is implemented. - you see to vague goals as I’m sure this is not what you mean.