3ds max VRAY vs Blender CYCLES (test)

Estas son algunas pruebas que he realizado importando las escenas desde 3ds max. Los formatos de eportación has sido DAE, OBJ, FBX y 3DS. El mejor considero que es OBJ, pero me encuentro con las dificultades:

• Es imposible la exportación correcta de los materiales. Incluso el nombre de las texturas se cambian, por lo que en blender os poséis imaginar la complicación que eso conlleva.
  • No se exporta los datos de la cámara. He tenido que ajustarla “a mano”.

No es más que una prueba. El render en VRAY es completo + postprodución. En CYCLES no es un render rápido sin postproducción. Espero os guste. Para cualquier duda, preguntar.

-Sorry: automatic-------------

Here are some tests I’ve done importing scenes from 3ds max. Eportación formats has been DAE, OBJ, FBX and 3DS. Best OBJ consider it, but I find the difficulties:

• It is impossible to export the correct materials. Even the name of the textures are changed, so in blender poséis you imagine the hassle that entails.
  • The camera data is not exported. I had to adjust it by hand calculations.

It’s just a test. The render is complete postprodución VRAY. In CYCLES is not a quick render without postproduction. I hope you enjoy it. For any questions, ask.

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/1180/d2lm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img824/7429/5g3w.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/626/23mg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/899/iomk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img194/1741/s1xb.jpg

Cycles is great! But i experienced similar noise problems in my renders (particularly first and second picture). When it comes to a complex scenery with less direct light you have to wait and tweak a lot.
How about the render times in vray?

Nice works, by the way :wink:

In the first image done with Vray I can see a lack of accuracy on the screen reflected on the sink, which is showing a color that isn´t correct.

However cycles is pathtracer, a type of renderer that is not optimal for interior scenes with lot of bounces. Such differences in terms of quality seem to be resasonable.

I have also noticed that you may adjust better materials in cycles to get a closer result to the vray image.

• Ya que estás trabajando con 2 softwares diferentes y sobre todo con 2 motores de render diferentes no hay forma de que puedas exportar materiales exitosamente. El formato .obj guarda un .mtl que supuestamente tiene la info sobre el material pero ni siquiera entre los programas de Autodesk funciona correctamente, la mayoría de las veces intercambiando modelos entre Max y Maya me tocaba recrear todos los materiales nuevamente.

• Para poder exportar la posición y el movimiento de la cámara en mi experiencia la mejor opción ha sido collada (.DAE), pero esta debe estar pegada a un objeto invisible (null, empty, etc), que contenga la animación. El ángulo y la apertura de la cámara si toca recrearlos “a ojo”, porque así como pasa con los materiales, la información específica de la cámara no puede ser compartida entre diferentes softwares, y menos entre diferentes motores de render.

Para ser pruebas rápidas se ven muy bien!, habría que entrar a hacer un mejor trabajo en los materiales de cycles, en la configuración de iluminación de cada escena y un poquito de post en el compositor, así se puede lograr un render más similar al de V-Ray.

I don’t pretend to be a expert in this but pecador is right. A raytracer is not the right render engine for interiors unless you can leave it open with say two walls, or two walls and no overhead. (YafaRay with photon mapping) Now as for VRAY is that not the holy grail. The gold standard of renderers for studio use right now.

And, unless I’m crazy I’d be willing to bet it’s a hybrid with raytracing, scanline, pathtracing, and photon mapping as well as direct light. With all those parameters right under your mouse in a panel which resembles our properties panel but barely.

Just like Blender Internal a Raytracer (Cycles) has limitations. So unless I’m misunderstanding this entire render engine thing there is no definitive method right now. That would be why VRAY, with a large development team, would use four (4) methods. Five including direct lighting. YafaRay, a open source renderer attempts to do this but leaves much to be desired.

So for those of us who live in the open source world it’s BI, Cycles and YafaRay mostly. None of which is even close to VRAY and how could they be. And, as for Pixar hell they probably don’t know which render engine is in play at any given moment. So really anything at our disposal is so far removed from those render engines it’s really something I don’t chose to dwell on. Unless I hit the lottery tomorrow.

El tiempo de render en cycles varia de 5 a 15 minutos con un sample de 300 a 600.
El tiempo de render de vray lo desconozco ya que son imágenes ya renderizadas del sitio evermotion.

The render time in cycles varies from 5 to 15 minutes with a sample of 300 to 600.
The Vray render time and not know what they are already rendered images Evermotion site.

Muchísimas gracias por tu comentario y recomendaciones. He probado con todas las combinaciones y sólo pretendía probar algunas de las excelentes escenas del sitio evermotion, que están realizadas con 3ds max + vray. Creo que blender + cycles tiene un enorme futuro, y quería demostrarlo con en estas imágenes que no son más que unas pruebas rápidas realizadas para testear.

Seguiré probando…

Thank you for your comments and recommendations. I’ve tried all combinations and only wanted to try some of the excellent site Evermotion scenes, which are made with 3ds max vray. I think blender cycles has a huge future, and wanted to show with these images are just a few quick tests to test.

I keep trying …

La principal característica que me gusta de cycles (que aún está en un desarrollo inicial comparado con vray) es la posibilidad de renderizar en tiempo real tanto con CPU como con GPU, característica que tienen muy pocos de la competencia y que a la hora de texturizar modelos o escenas es, desde mi punto de vista, imprescindible.

The main feature I like about cycles (which is still in early development compared with vray) is the possibility of real-time rendering with both CPU and GPU, with very few characteristic of competition and when texturing models or scenes is, in my view, essential.

Here are nice setup examples

Me myself, after downloading some interior scenes and rendering in cycles and V-ray experienced most (if not all) of these things can be faked in cycles by using more complex lighting setups. Of course it’s not practical for animation, but for still images it works.

@theoldggost I’m not an expert myself too at render engines, but I think what you said was correct.